Thread: Help needed... 1st roe!

Help needed... 1st roe!

Hi all, shot our first roe yesterday and butchered it this morning... It's now in the freezer where it belongs. however while butchering it I had great difficulty removing the "tight skin" that's wrapped around the leg loins?? I almost had to cut a thin layer of the surface of each loin?! Anyone found an easy way of removing this?! TIA For Replys.

I guess you mean the silver skin? The layer of tendon that grabs the meat to transmit force? If this is it, it is not the skin. Take a really sharp knife and unpick an end or edge of the sliver skin, just go for it. Then once you can grab the edge run the knife blade along the skin skin and lift/pull it away from the meat. If started right, it will work and you can get it off with very little wastage. There will be some left somewhere, but it pays to get rid of this as this will usually be quite tough if the meat is cooked rare.

Use the back of the knife and it will peel away from the meat leaving no waste.

Brilliant... Thanks lads! Back of the knifes a great idea! �� Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Top-shot View Post
    Hi all, shot our first roe yesterday and butchered it this morning... It's now in the freezer where it belongs. however while butchering it I had great difficulty removing the "tight skin" that's wrapped around the leg loins?? I almost had to cut a thin layer of the surface of each loin?! Anyone found an easy way of removing this?! TIA For Replys.
    Joint out the individual leg-muscles in the Continental butchery way.
    Place the muscle on a smooth surface with the silver skin down.
    Work loose a small bit of silver skin starting on the end where it is the thickest.
    Hold the loose little skin flap down with your finger nails and run the knife almost horizontally over the inside of the skin, putting some pressure and a very slight angle downwards, in one long smooth clean sweep, similar to how you would remove the skin from a fish fillet.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

+1 This method I have found the best leaving both fingers and fillet intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    Joint out the individual leg-muscles in the Continental butchery way.1
    Place the muscle on a smooth surface with the silver skin down.
    Work loose a small bit of silver skin starting on the end where it is the thickest.
    Hold the loose little skin flap down with your finger nails and run the knife almost horizontally over the inside of the skin, putting some pressure and a very slight angle downwards, in one long smooth clean sweep, similar to how you would remove the skin from a fish fillet.