Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st closely followed by the 2nd!!

1st closely followed by the 2nd!!

Went out for an hour before last light on friday and re-visited the spot where I took my 1st solo over Xmas. I spotted a decent looking buck on the opposite side of a lake, but unfortunately he was moving away from where I was headed and to get to him meant I would have been up wind, so I decided to head for the same crossing point as before.

On the way down the ride I spotted movement up ahead but it turned out to be a couple of bunnies bobbing around!! Funny how the slightest thing gets the heart rate going when you are out stalking!!

I settled into position with the rifle on the sticks aimed at the crossing and within a couple of minutes there was a downpour of epic proportions driving from the side that only lasted a couple of minutes but was enough to do my head in. I just had enough time to wipe everything down when a doe appeared along the ride tracking towards me. This time I had plenty of time to see if there was a youngster following and she appeared to be alone. Everything went to plan as she mooched right in line with my rifle and presented a textbook broadside shot. With a gentle touch of the set trigger on the ZKK601 down she went to a perfect shot bang on 100 yds away.

A nice healthy doe to kick start 2014 weighing 13.5kg before the gralloch which this time was much less messy and smelly!!

It was also the 1st time I had used the new Z Aim sling properly I got from Andy at Moray Outfitting and I have to say it is wonderfully confortable and so easy to use. I found with the roe sack strap that I was constantly shuffling the normal sling due to the weight of the mod pulling the rifle down, but with the Z Aim it stays perfectly upright all the time and seems to distribute the weight across the shoulders better. Well worth the money and I would recommend one to anybody,

Cheers

Stratts

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Well done...you're bagging up now. I hope to have a write up of my first deer very soon!

Congratulations Stratts! Thanks for letting us have vicarious adventures through yours.

Cheers chaps (although I had to look up what vicarious meant, great word!!)

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Cheers chaps (although I had to look up what vicarious meant, great word!!)
    You're welcome. It is indeed a great word, I just wish that I didn't have quite so much use for it.

Well done Stratts, that's a decent photo too.
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    You're welcome. It is indeed a great word, I just wish that I didn't have quite so much use for it.
    I know the feeling well! I'm currently a vicarious stalker, but have in my time been a vicarious salmon fisher and vicarious falconer...

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    I know the feeling well! I'm currently a vicarious stalker, but have in my time been a vicarious salmon fisher and vicarious falconer...
    Well I've just been through a baby-induced long period of vicariousness, but I plan to end it on February 22nd when I go and actually live a stalking adventure of my own rather than just enjoying other people's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Well I've just been through a baby-induced long period of vicariousness, but I plan to end it on February 22nd when I go and actually live a stalking adventure of my own rather than just enjoying other people's.
    Well then hopefully we'll be able to vicariously share your successful experience too mate!!

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Well then hopefully we'll be able to vicariously share your successful experience too mate!!
    If it works out, you'll never hear the end of it!