.243 with 55gr

beno

Finally got the chance to get a new .243

So what can fire 55gr, from factory without going down the custom route.

I really want a Sako finlight, but don't know if these bullets will suit this rifle?

I tried 55 grain barnes grenades (i think) and winchester factory 55 gr out of my remington vls and both rounds were 0.5 moa.

Remmy 700 and a t3 both shot federal premium 55gr brilliant for me shot 100s of foxes with them. In the t3 they were 1" lower than 90gr sake gameheads at 100m. The gameheads were ideal on roe fallow and munty, minimal damage but put them down perfectly.

A friend of mine had a custom .243 build by a well known rifle builder and he recommended not going for the 55 grn and using a 70 grn or there abouts equally dead foxes but a longer barrel life.
Not bad from the man who would probably get the job of putting a new barrel on.
Cheers
Dickie

A friend of mine had a custom .243 build by a well known rifle builder and he recommended not going for the 55 grn and using a 70 grn or there abouts equally dead foxes but a longer barrel life.
Not bad from the man who would probably get the job of putting a new barrel on.
Cheers
Dickie

I heard that as well, quickest way to wear a .243 barrel was to put light bullets through it fast

I agree, I was loading some super quick Sierra 60 gn hollowpoints for a while, they were good fox medicine, but then I started to use the Sierra 80gn blitz, lights out for charlie, and very nice on deer as well without much meat damage, I would have a go at some of these if you reload.

Just bought a box of Norma 58gr V-Max to try (mostly as the gunshop I was in did not have any 70-75gr ones in) see how I get on with them.

Be interested to see how the zero/POI differs to that of the other round I have, the 100gr PPUs. I guess a couple of inches higher at 100m but testing will tell the answer when I can get out.

I shoot 80g speer home loads for all my deer shooting. zero at 1/2" high at 110yds gives me 1.5" drop at 200yds. However without touching my scope, Norma 58g v max give me 1" high at 110yds and dead on at 200yds. My choice for fox.

Interesting reading boys.

I might be looking for a dedicated foxing rifle shortly. It'll be a Howa, but i'm stuck between .243 & .22-250....

Interesting reading boys.

I might be looking for a dedicated foxing rifle shortly. It'll be a Howa, but i'm stuck between .243 & .22-250....

if dedicated to fox, go 22-250. also a good choice if you were to mix it with head/neck shooting roe...unless of course, you prefer bullets with a higher BC to tackle wind up there North of Inverness, then a 1:8 twist .243 with some 108 or 115g nukes would be good fox medicine at long range, and would p1ss all over the .22's..just depends on what circumstances you expect to hunt and distances.

Thanks for the info PKL.

Currently using .270 1:10 twist with 110gr Vmax (Norma Factory). They certainly do the job, but the back of my truck ends up in a right old mess some nights!

I've got an empty slot for .22-250 at the moment, so leaning that way. On the other hand there's plenty of cheap .243's around....

I think that Sierra make a 55 grain bullet in .243" especially for the Australian professional kangaroo shooter market. These guys shooting the animal in the head (there is an official "licence test" target on t'internet) and then process the carcase for its meats. Mainly, often, the tail I believe.

Back