Thread: Offal

Offal

I shot a Roe doe last night through the neck so I recovered the heart, kiver and kidneys.
    I am a little tired of eating this stuff so was going to freeze it.
    I think I am right that liver at least can be frozen.
    To freeze the kidneys do I leave the fat on or not?
    Ta

Offal freezes well but only if fresh. Fat doesn't freeze well though and should be removed!

A friend that I hunt with in Northern Michigan, former chef, asks for the fatty caul around the intestines. I try to seperate that from the gut bag while field dressing, rinsing at home and patting dry then freezing. He uses it for wrapping sausages to be cooked in the oven. The heart I slice and rinse out, chill in fridge in salted water. Fry up for lunch in butter and garlic. I am not much on the liver or kidneys, I save for a friend who cooks them up for his vislas (5)

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    I shot a Roe doe last night through the neck so I recovered the heart, kiver and kidneys.
    I am a little tired of eating this stuff so was going to freeze it.
    I think I am right that liver at least can be frozen.
    To freeze the kidneys do I leave the fat on or not?
    Ta
    Its not a problem freezing offal but make sure you date the bags as i am sure you are aware that the texture will change if kept for to long.
    IE dont put it at the bottom of the freezer and forget about it. Better still make up a load of pate split into useable portions and freeze that.

John.