Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retrieving To Hand

Retrieving To Hand

My HWV retrieves the dummy well but drops it at my feet and not to hand. What can i do to train him to bring to hand?

You could try walking backwards a few steps as he gets to you so he has it in his mouth longer.
    I have in the past held the dummy in the dogs mouth a few seconds but I do wonder if this can be counter-productive.
    This was for labs mind and I have never had anything to do with HWVs so I may be completely off the mark

Quote Originally Posted by venery View Post
    My HWV retrieves the dummy well but drops it at my feet and not to hand. What can i do to train him to bring to hand?
    My pointer did that, I made her carry the dummy walking to heel, every now and then I'd take it from her, praise her and then give her it back. My Labrador only needed me to walk backwards when she approached
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

All of the above, plus bend down low, so you are not so domineering, takes some time to overcome this, if it goes on you will find the dog dropping game all the time, if a runner, it becomes a chasing issue and a real problem. deerwarden

You don't mention how old the dog is, so I am assuming he is fairly young.

Think about why he is doing it. Is it possible he is anticipating either a) praise or b) treat, or he doesn't understand what is expected.

If you break it down the dog thinks the job is done/finished by bringing the dummy back to you and spitting it on the floor at your feet. You need to change that association.

As above try a couple of tricks, but bear in mind the HWV is essentially quite a sensitive natured dog, you need to turn this into a win win situation.

1. When he comes back to you, do not tell him 'good boy' or reach to your pocket for a treat, these are main causes of spitting the dummy, as he thinks his job is done or he spits the dummy to get the biscuit/cheese or whatever you may use.
    2. As he gets to about 2-3 yards away, turn away and then call him to heel, walk 10 yards or so, then sit him up, and only then take the dummy.
    3. As he comes back, rather than bending down low with your arms out wide like a rugby tackler, stand up, put your hands up high, even click your fingers above your head, it makes the dog raise its head and focus on something else, it also makes it harder for him to spit the dummy. As he looks up you can get your hand under the dummy.
    4. If he does spit the dummy out, don't pick it up yourself, use your "fetch" command or whatever you have been using to make it clear that isn't what you want him to do.

5. If it becomes a real problem, then stop the retrieving in the field. Turn this into play rather than a battle. Sit in your armchair at home, sit him up in front of you, give the dog the dummy, use the word, "hold", and praise him for holding it then after a few seconds ask him to "give" or "dead" or whatever you use, then give him the praise for returning it to you. If you get the timing right he will understand very quickly what is expected, you can then extend the time you let him hold it. Once this is sorted you can revert back to the field.

The 'hold' command will also become useful when you progress to water retrieves, as most dogs especially young'uns will drop the dumy when they get out to have a good shake, then pick it up and carry on the retrieve. Using the hold command then can help to stop them spitting the dummy as they leave the water.

Don't overdo the retrieves either, two or three twice a week is enough, anymore and the dog could become bored and loose his drive to retrieve.

Good luck.
    Last edited by floyd; 07-01-2014 at 09:52.

and never pick the dummy up yourself!!

Many thanks for very helpful replies all of which make sense and i can see the treat connection particularly. As only 6 mths old he has not get any bad habits and thought i would nip this one in the bud.

Don't panic he's only 6 months old,back off a lot!Only do do the retrieving part with a small dummy that he can carry about, at this age his attention span is tiny.My HWV Athur at 7 1/2 years old picks up 2 or 3 times a week but still b*****s about with dummies.Your chap can and will learn to Hunt,point,retrieve and do deer and will turn his brain on about 2-3 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    You don't mention how old the dog is, so I am assuming he is fairly young.

Think about why he is doing it. Is it possible he is anticipating either a) praise or b) treat, or he doesn't understand what is expected.

If you break it down the dog thinks the job is done/finished by bringing the dummy back to you and spitting it on the floor at your feet. You need to change that association.

As above try a couple of tricks, but bear in mind the HWV is essentially quite a sensitive natured dog, you need to turn this into a win win situation.

1. When he comes back to you, do not tell him 'good boy' or reach to your pocket for a treat, these are main causes of spitting the dummy, as he thinks his job is done or he spits the dummy to get the biscuit/cheese or whatever you may use.
    2. As he gets to about 2-3 yards away, turn away and then call him to heel, walk 10 yards or so, then sit him up, and only then take the dummy.
    3. As he comes back, rather than bending down low with your arms out wide like a rugby tackler, stand up, put your hands up high, even click your fingers above your head, it makes the dog raise its head and focus on something else, it also makes it harder for him to spit the dummy. As he looks up you can get your hand under the dummy.
    4. If he does spit the dummy out, don't pick it up yourself, use your "fetch" command or whatever you have been using to make it clear that isn't what you want him to do.

5. If it becomes a real problem, then stop the retrieving in the field. Turn this into play rather than a battle. Sit in your armchair at home, sit him up in front of you, give the dog the dummy, use the word, "hold", and praise him for holding it then after a few seconds ask him to "give" or "dead" or whatever you use, then give him the praise for returning it to you. If you get the timing right he will understand very quickly what is expected, you can then extend the time you let him hold it. Once this is sorted you can revert back to the field.

The 'hold' command will also become useful when you progress to water retrieves, as most dogs especially young'uns will drop the dumy when they get out to have a good shake, then pick it up and carry on the retrieve. Using the hold command then can help to stop them spitting the dummy as they leave the water.

Don't overdo the retrieves either, two or three twice a week is enough, anymore and the dog could become bored and loose his drive to retrieve.

Good luck.
    Excellent advice Floyd.
    May I add that I had the same problem with my GWP. I tried all of what Floyd said to no avail. In the end, the problem was solved by simply getting him to sit when he got back to me. He's never dropped a bird since and I don't have to make him sit anymore either. Sometimes it's just a little thing that can make all the difference.

not all dogs are natural carriers I love a pup to carry when its young but that is not always the case ive seen dogs that excel in carrying fur and feather and never look at anything else throughout there lives iam no expert its just simply how it works I remember meeting a dozen lads shooting pheasant on a estate and after having a chat to them I told them there team of cockers and spaniels had not pushed everything out I sent a old xbread into the wood and I shot 3 the old dog retrieved them in fine style not much to look at but he had more miles on the clock than the hole team good dogs take a lot time spent on them in the field putting the hours in is the most important task always