Who to contact regarding bringing my firearms back with me

Hi,
Hoping someone here might be able to send me in the right direction to get advice regarding bringing my personal firearms back with me to the UK.

We currently live in New Zealand but have toyed with the idea of returning back to the UK to live, but I don't really want to sell my shotguns and .308 .22 and Air Rifle here in NZ prior to leaving, I think I'll only lose an awful lot of money, plus the shotgun has been cast to fit me.

I did send an email to the Metropolitan Police Firearms dept. but I imagine they're a bit too busy to reply!
Anyone have any advice regarding this please?

You need to contact the firearms department of the police force that covers the area in which you will be living. It will probably require you to have your firearms shipped direct to a RFD untill such time as you can obtain the necessary certificates to possess in the U.K. They should also be able to inform you about the personal import rules on firearms.

You don't want to come back, the place has goner to rats**t!!!!
I would love to go and live in New Zealand but I'm too old now and living on a pension.

Just contact an RFD near where you are moving too, get him to hold them until such time as you can sort out a fire-arms ticket. I'd be much easier sorting out once your here and settled than attempting anything from middle earth. If for some reason you are refused you can soon sell them here.

You need to contact the firearms department of the police force that covers the area in which you will be living. It will probably require you to have your firearms shipped direct to a RFD untill such time as you can obtain the necessary certificates to possess in the U.K. They should also be able to inform you about the personal import rules on firearms.
As above, and joining the BASC as JCS states would be good advice.

Circumstances worked against us a few years back but we wanted to emigrate to NZ, we had the skills required, but we are too old now, i would think twice about moving back here, the country is going to the dogs!

Richard

Thanks all, yes we really are in two minds about it all. Personally I blame Charlie Jacoby for selling me this awesome hunting lifestyle over there, plus Christmas is back to front here, it's hot damnit... supposed to be cold and miserable.
Of course the "lifestyle" that I love to watch on Youtube is probably out of my reach anyway, always seems coupled with having lots of money there. I could be wrong, here at least the deer are free, with only the 1080 to worry about. We'll see! Either way thanks very much for the advice.
Cheers

Stay there and be happy. My daughter is in Australia, the temperature there has been 30C recently, here it has been 3C at the same time.
At least New Zealand and Australia both have sensible policies regarding immigrants.

This country is finished and in a mess. A Labour government spokesman boasted that `they had spent all the money` after they were kicked out.
Our doors have been opened to all the free-loaders and economic migrants of the world irrespective of the fact that many can only speak one or two words of English. [Asylum, asylum.]
Hampered by the lax Liberals the Coalition cannot mop up this mess even if they had the back-bone to attempt to do so.

We have one of the lowest old age pensions in the EU and within months we will be over-run by another swarm of foreign economic wasters.
These will need to be fed and given accommodation even though we have vast numbers of our own young jobless and lengthy queues for housing.

HWH.

At least New Zealand and Australia both have sensible policies regarding immigrants.

Certainly.

As the "white trash" work shy, life on benefits, Mick Philpott live-a-like type, chav scum that now infest this nation are not allowed visas to go and live in Australia.

I recently looked at bringing a rifle from New Zealand to the UK
(owned by my sister's father in law being transferred to her

biggest costs by far are shipping if you are not taking them as luggage
prohibitive in some cases and more than the value of anything I own!

export license from NZ to demonstrate it is leaving illegally (paper exercise, minimal cost)
import license for UK so Customs know what it is when it arrives (paper exercise)
Legal authority to hold in the UK (FAC etc, this is used when collecting from customs)

that's about it to be honest

if you are bringing them through as personal allowance I would say you could probably pay the excess baggage fee and get all of them back in one hit without the huge shipping and handling costs

Have a look at holtsauctioneers.com - they have a new zealand representative as well as many elsewhere around the world. They are constantly moving firearms to and from their regular auctions in London and some of their representatives will also do that for items that are not going to be sold.

In terms of holding and using the guns in the UK, two different tickets are required. Shotgun Certificate for Shotguns - ie doubles and 3 shot semi autos/pump actions with min of 24" barrels - you just have to demonstrate that you are of fixed abode, have a secure place to store them and a charachter witness to show you are of good charachter. With the rifles, they need to go on a firearm certificate and you have to demonstrate good reason to hold and use them - each individual rifle is itemised on your certficate, along with authority to possess and use ammunition etc.

From my experience hiring someone to import one or two guns is prohibitively expensive (in the region of 200 quid per gun and that was 5years ago). Generally it is only practical to use them for importing 10's of guns and or very valuable ones.

One me suggestion would be to bring them in on a visitors permit and apply for an FAC when you arrive. Should be easy to get a visitors permit especially if you have some paid stalking booked. But don't quote me on that speak to the licensing office first before going ahead.

Note those professional importers will probably try to tell you the paperwork is impossible to do by yourself; I would respectfully suggest they would say that in order to justify their expensive fees!

Don,t do it, nothing here for you to feel your missing, I am looking at going the other way.

It is nice here for sure, but please please do leave your rose tinted specs at the departure gate. It is not the land of milk and honey, and as for immigration...dont even get me started.

You don't want to come back, the place has goner to rats**t!!!!
I would love to go and live in New Zealand but I'm too old now and living on a pension.

Its like a ghost town buddy, 'silence is golden' comes to mind. I came back after 2 years of nothingness , empty beaches & stale social life. It maybe clean, fresher food, but boy do you get bored. I spent my days working in a plumbers shop & riding a horse around every where to kill time, & hiding from the winds , life is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww .

where we're you little Jon,
Timbo it ain,t all that pretty here either, I have family there so know how hard it can be, but like the idea of being a bit more self reliant. I have a good job here, so would be giving up a lot, but that could end tommorow who knows, I think a lot of people overhere believe you can just go out and shoot overthere, which is not quite true, and they might not let me in yet, but you can only try.

Back