Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disposal of unwanted barrels

Disposal of unwanted barrels

I have two spare barrels on my FAC for a Ruger 10/22 that I no longer want. Can I just hand them in to the local police station?

Your advice would be appreciated.

DS

Quote Originally Posted by DEER STALKER View Post
    I have two spare barrels on my FAC for a Ruger 10/22 that I no longer want. Can I just hand them in to the local police station?

Your advice would be appreciated.

DS
    I`d give them to my RFD and get a receipt for them and get your FAC signed / stamped and send it to your firearms admin , giving it to your local police will create a load of work for them which Im sure they wont thank you for,thats if they would even accept them as you hold them legally they probably wont.

DS

Have a chat with these folk - http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/ they might give you some money for your barrels?

Regards

JCS

Thanks JCS but the barrels have not been looked after and are no good to anyone. Thought about dropping them in to my RFD but they are no use to him and would only cause him hassle for no return. Thats why I wanted to drop them off at the police station if possible.

DS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    DS

Have a chat with these folk - http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/ they might give you some money for your barrels?

Regards

JCS

SD Regular
    Been there, seen it, done it. With a shot gun held on my SGC. So it was done by a telephone call to the licensing department.

Had a Webley .410 bolt action that had, as they all eventually do, stripped its front screw. It is a design fault. Again it would be an unsafe gun to attempt to sell on. So that was also explained to the licensing department.

Police arranged for the FEO to collect it from me (and give me a receipt) accepting it for destruction. Her words were "I'm actually quite interested to take this as it will give me practice booking in a surrendered firearm for destruction".

So it may be that your FEO is actually quite happy to have to do what may have been a paper exercise for real.

One last word.

DO NOT FORGET THIS....even though the police are taking it you will still legally be required to do a "Notification of Disposal" to them just as you would if you sold it on. Which is why you need a receipt and also why it is better done with a call to your licensing department to ask THEM how they wish you to proceed.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 07-01-2014 at 22:04.

When i re-barreled my 22-250 to 22BR, i arranged to take the cut off chamber portion of the old barrel to the firearms licensing departmant together with some 22-250 ammo.
    I was given a reciept for both and signed a form stating that i had surrendered the items for destruction.
    simple and quick

Ian.

The Police will accept and destroy your old barrels. It's a simple process to update your Firearms Record and causes little additional work for them.

I believe you only have to hand in the chambers , the rest is just a grooved tube ?

then cut the tube into 4" lengths and post them to anti hunting charities in their free post donation envelopes !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    I believe you only have to hand in the chambers , the rest is just a grooved tube ?

then cut the tube into 4" lengths and post them to anti hunting charities in their free post donation envelopes !
    any links to guidance please? getting pushback on the cut-off-chamber idea

That's my understanding a tube isn't a barrel untill it's chambered so no chamber would mean its not a barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post

LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!