Disposal of unwanted barrels

Deutsch - Drahthaar

I have two spare barrels on my FAC for a Ruger 10/22 that I no longer want. Can I just hand them in to the local police station?

Your advice would be appreciated.

DS

I have two spare barrels on my FAC for a Ruger 10/22 that I no longer want. Can I just hand them in to the local police station?

Your advice would be appreciated.

DS

I`d give them to my RFD and get a receipt for them and get your FAC signed / stamped and send it to your firearms admin , giving it to your local police will create a load of work for them which Im sure they wont thank you for,thats if they would even accept them as you hold them legally they probably wont.

Been there, seen it, done it. With a shot gun held on my SGC. So it was done by a telephone call to the licensing department.

Had a Webley .410 bolt action that had, as they all eventually do, stripped its front screw. It is a design fault. Again it would be an unsafe gun to attempt to sell on. So that was also explained to the licensing department.

Police arranged for the FEO to collect it from me (and give me a receipt) accepting it for destruction. Her words were "I'm actually quite interested to take this as it will give me practice booking in a surrendered firearm for destruction".

So it may be that your FEO is actually quite happy to have to do what may have been a paper exercise for real.

One last word.

DO NOT FORGET THIS....even though the police are taking it you will still legally be required to do a "Notification of Disposal" to them just as you would if you sold it on. Which is why you need a receipt and also why it is better done with a call to your licensing department to ask THEM how they wish you to proceed.

Last edited:
When i re-barreled my 22-250 to 22BR, i arranged to take the cut off chamber portion of the old barrel to the firearms licensing departmant together with some 22-250 ammo.
I was given a reciept for both and signed a form stating that i had surrendered the items for destruction.
simple and quick

Ian.

The Police will accept and destroy your old barrels. It's a simple process to update your Firearms Record and causes little additional work for them.

I believe you only have to hand in the chambers , the rest is just a grooved tube ?

then cut the tube into 4" lengths and post them to anti hunting charities in their free post donation envelopes !

I believe you only have to hand in the chambers , the rest is just a grooved tube ?

then cut the tube into 4" lengths and post them to anti hunting charities in their free post donation envelopes !

any links to guidance please? getting pushback on the cut-off-chamber idea

That's my understanding a tube isn't a barrel untill it's chambered so no chamber would mean its not a barrel.

whatever you do don't try this with shotguns !!
shortening a barrel to just over chamber length would give you a lot of legal troubles...

If i was the last known owner of a barrel, i'd like to know for a fact it could never be fired again. Heat it up and bend it in two, then inform your FLO of your intention to hand it into a police station.

Back