Thread: Berger 55gr bthp

Berger 55gr bthp

Hi lads is anyone using or used berger 55gr bthp target grade varmint bullet heads in there .22 centerfire and how do you rate them.I used them for the first time last on live quarry i found they are very fast expansion and blew up inside a fox with no exit and one switched off fox.i was using a 22.250 load being H380 37.3 gr norma brass and head seated 10 thou of the lands.5 shot 1/2 moa group.any imput would be gratful.these imo are not suited for small deer work.
    Nigdonn

jez lads nobody shoots these things?

Quote Originally Posted by nigdonn View Post
    jez lads nobody shoots these things?
    will be just waiting for rifle to arrive
    regards pete

I used to use 52g varmint match, as you say, rarely an exit and very accurate, stopped using them in the end as they were difficult for me to get hold of. I've tried the flat base target bullets but nothing special

I use the alas now discontinued Berger 50gr FBHP target bullet in a 20BR on foxes. Usually it passes through with a side on chest shot unless its a very very long way. Exit wound is usually similar to other 20 cal bullets on foxes but on smaller stuff like crows 39gr SBKs blow them up better.

First one I shot was a front on cub at about 120 yards, bullet entered front chest, hit breast bone and got exited, piece of shrapnel all but cut off its front RH leg, the rest of the bullet went through the chest and stomach were it exited taking most of the intestine with it. Another member here witnessed it. It was dead instantly.

A

I use the Berger flat base 55g Match Varmint bullet exclusively in my .22BR.
    Accuracy is phenominal, terminal bullet performance is as good and as bad as all the other makers varmint bullets i have tried.
    Sometimes its difficult to find an exit hole other times you can get your fist in.

Ian.

thanks lads for the replys very similer to my findings.Iam happy with how they preform to.
    yours Nigdonn.