Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy issues with .243 loads

Accuracy issues with .243 loads

Hi guys, I load for a mate who has a Tikka T3 varmint in .243. I previously worked up some accurate loads for him using Swift Scirroco II 90gr and Nosler Ballistic Tips in 80gr and 90gr. However, the rifle seems to have fallen out of love with them and accuracy has deteriorated to unacceptable levels. Mate assures me he cleans it properly (going to clean it myself before next session to be sure) and it has had no more than 1,000 rounds through it. I tried 80gr and 90gr Speer Deep Curls at the weekend with equally dire results. I also tried 90gr Accubonds with lightly better results but these were the best of a bad bunch and still 2"+ group compared to < 1" which it was doing easily in the past.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the rifle or am losing my touch. Have any of you had similar experiences or have any suggestions, please?

many thanks

Are you measuring where bullets contact the rifling and adjusting your OAL accordingly? Based on my experience with 260 I'd say 1k rounds in 243 will definitely erode the throat.

Another possibility would be build-up of copper and other residue. "Proper cleaning" can mean different things to different people...

One question, are you sure there's not a rifle/scope/moderator/bipod issue rather than an ammunition issue? Have you tried any factory ammo? I know these issues can be very frustrating, but it's a case of taking your time, checking each element out in a methodical manner and eliminating it.

Good luck.

JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jthyttin View Post
    Are you measuring where bullets contact the rifling and adjusting your OAL accordingly? Based on my experience with 260 I'd say 1k rounds in 243 will definitely erode the throat.

Another possibility would be build-up of copper and other residue. "Proper cleaning" can mean different things to different people...
    Hi jthyttin, yes I have measured seating depth to lands and tried various depths to 35 thou off so far. It previously shot best at 30 thou off. Thanks for your reply. I agree, cleaning needs looking at as well as the rifle as suggested by JCS.

hi,sounds like theres either something loose or the mod is being put on in a different place.in that i mean cleanable mods such as wildcats p8's etc need to be assembled in the same way every time. i mark all my mods to make sure.seen quite a few that change zero between outings due to this. it changes barrel harmonics ive been told.
    good luck m8

pete

have you checked the crown for damage, also if the mod gets left on the rifle this can also erode into the crown by the gases given off even some time after putting the gun away.

Id take it apart and check everythings tight, then check mounts are all ok , check the mod also , If all s ok poss try a different scope .
    Id also give a real good clean out with wipe out/ accelerator.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    This was the suggestion last time on grouping problems.

Preferably before, or if not after, you've tried changing your homeloads (powders, bullets, primers, OAL, etc) then work on eliminating each variable in the rifle setup in a methodical way.

Start by making sure every screw is tight, the crown looks good, etc. and then proceed as follows:

Deep clean the barrel to remove any fouling..and test fire a group
    Check without the moderator..and test fire a group
    Check with someone else pulling the trigger..and test fire a group
    Check a number of different factory loads..and test fire a group for each
    Check if anything has altered with the stock (barrel touching, bedding, crap between action and stock)..and test fire a group
    Check that all action screws are tight..and test fire a group
    Tighten the action screws again...and test fire a group
    Slacken the action screws a tad...and test fire a group
    Check a different moderator..and test fire a group
    Check a different scope..and test fire a group

Once you've eliminated all these variables get a reputable gunsmith to check the barrel with a borescope.

Good luck!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

physical issue with rifle would be my first thought...sub MOA ammo doesn't just become 2-3MOA ammo
    crown, mod, action screw, barrel touching stock and as a last resort the barrel itself

I have a .270 that went from sub 1" to 4" when I started reloading for it......coincided with my use of a non swivel moderator on an old lightweight wooden stock
    took me 300 rounds and 5 months to figure it out but the barrel was touching the wood when I gripped the rifle and straightened the reticule

SD Regular
    I tried some Remington bonded 100 grain in my 6mm Remington and it didn't like the, three inch group, also some 100 grain Nosler Partition. Didn't like those either. So my conclusion was that the bullet was either too long for the rifling twist and not being stabilised or too slow in velocity and not being stabilised.