Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hind Stalking

Hind Stalking

Hi all. I have done a fair bit of woodland stalking but am heading up to the Highlands in a couple of weeks for a week stalking hinds. Does anyone have any advice on different equipment that I should take up with me beyond the usual stuff used in woodland? Thanks

you will get cold and wet, good boots , good waterproof gear , and as much fitness as you can muster !

if your alone then you will need a bit of different kit but with the estate stalkers just try to travel light and be ready , deer often just appear and there's no time to mess about!
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

As far as clothing goes you need layers rather than a big coat, you'll start off cold but will soon get a dab on when you start heading up hill & you'll be able to add or remove clothing as needed, a goretex outer shell is a must to keep the wind and rain out.
    And as mentioned fitness is a bonus as it is pretty hard going.
    As far as equipment goes if your with a guide you should only need binoculars, knife, drag rope, walking stick & the rifle
    Enjoy.
    bairn79

I too am a novice at this and have learned hard lessons the last few times I have been out:

1. If you think you are stalking into one or two beasts - quadruple the number of potential eyes
    2. If you think that the deer you were stalking has moved out of sight and over your boundary, think again and look again before standing up
    3. If you are walking over awkward ground, look around, then assess the ground at your feet, then walk a few paces forward (sods law being the deer appear as you watch your footing)
    and finally, the most irritation lesson so far:
    4. When you sit for a breather/to wipe the rain off your binoculars, before you set off, look behind you!!!!!

It's fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    I too am a novice at this and have learned hard lessons the last few times I have been out:

1. If you think you are stalking into one or two beasts - quadruple the number of potential eyes
    2. If you think that the deer you were stalking has moved out of sight and over your boundary, think again and look again before standing up
    3. If you are walking over awkward ground, look around, then assess the ground at your feet, then walk a few paces forward (sods law being the deer appear as you watch your footing)
    and finally, the most irritation lesson so far:
    4. When you sit for a breather/to wipe the rain off your binoculars, before you set off, look behind you!!!!!

It's fun though.
    for a 'novice', you sure speak some wise words Sir.!

agree with the others too, wear a couple layers of clothing with the outer layer being pretty waterproof if not completely!

because hinds tend to be in large groups you can end up laying up waiting and crawling into position for a long time, sometimes in freezing rain and half frozen mud,,so be prepared, but not so much you will die from heatstroke on a warm day with loads of uphill walking either!

bring a good pair of gloves, personally I carry a spare pair and actually wear a waterproof over glove/mitt which helps crawling into position and general walking/waiting become a lot more pleasant.

if you wear a hat, stick a spare fleece hat in your pocket too. The evenings get really cold, esp. when you're exhausted. so if you're extracting deer in the dark, keep a spare sweater or dry set of clothes in the car, even consider a swift change of gloves/hat before heading out to pick up the deer, it makes a world of difference. I also like to keep some band aids, etc. as handling knives in the freezing cold and half dark can be a bit procarious. same with a cheap head torch,,comes into play more often than you think.

spare paper towels in a pocket, in case nature calls!

any fool can be uncomfortable!

Bog roll a must for morning outings. And I always take water in a camel back. Sure there are burns to drink from, but having it with you is so much more convenient to take a sip on the go.

An old white sheet with a hole for your head to go through like a poncho ----- all depends where in the highlands you are but you could be stalking in the snow. If stalking alone a rangefinder would be handy as if your used to woodland stalking then some of your shots could be at a distance your not used to judging if on the hill.

I wear 3 layers on the top, wicking base layer, fleece, waterproof jacket.
    You will sweat when you get going and freeze when you stop if that sweat isn't wicked away.
    Hat of some description, I keep some scrim handy in case of needing to cover my face.
    Decent high boots and I use gaiters to keep your legs protected and dry.
    Gloves, my preference is neoprene, you will get wet hands and the fleece types are a bit useless when wet.

Something to eat, it's a long day and you'll be burning energy the whole time.
    I prefer a snickers and a satsuma or similar.
    Water or a cup to help getting water out of burns.

2 knives, drag ropes x 2. Binoculars and a dry cloth.

I use a walking stick as had everyone I've been out with.
    They're useful for probing boggy ground, leaning on and attaching drag ropes too.

I'd imagine you'll have someone with you who knows the place, if not then a compass or GPS is helpful in a white out.

It's awesome, enjoy.

just came to mind many woodland stalkers my not be used to shooting prone with or without bipod once went out with a lad who had never shot a rifle without a bipod he missed three easy shots but once he got bipod on rifle he was exallant shot
    I like to carry rifle in slip when on the hill only taking it out for final approach just a couple of points to consider.