Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog food bin??

Dog food bin??

Pup gets here next week and looking for a decent sized (15kg+) food bin. It'll be in the utility room so looking for something that's airtight and will keep the smell in. I'm assuming there are better and cheaper alternatives than the 30+ options with fancy integrated scoops and pretty dog decals that the local pet supeorstore has on offer...

Any suggestions gratefully received! Cheers, Andy.

Hi Andy,
    I use a plastic dustbin. Room for 2 bags in it.
    John

I use a blue "food safe" barrel that originally contained mango chutney imported to the UK from India. It cost me just 3 from the importers in Sussex. Canoe barrels etc will also do the same job.
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

+1 use them for all sorts from feeders, dog food, & soaking, they are cheap, available, & versatile.
    Quote Originally Posted by widu13 View Post
    I use a blue "food safe" barrel that originally contained mango chutney imported to the UK from India. It cost me just 3 from the importers in Sussex. Canoe barrels etc will also do the same job.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

thanks for the suggestions guys. the barrels look ideal but not sure where I can pick one up (for 3 quid, anyway!). Wondered about a bin but thought it needed to be airtight to keep food fresh and contain any smells (does dry food smell?? not opened the bag yet...)

Andy

Know any friendly tilers or painters that could wash you out a few of 10 ltr buckets with lids.

Quote Originally Posted by widu13 View Post
    Where in Sussex are they based? The only places I've found were miles away and postage was a bit steep

Plastic dustbin fits 30 kgs get a lock top one if you own a lab though !
    Norma

Try ur local curry house or kebab shop, i think that where a lot of them drums come from.
    Various types of buckets and bins (mineral lick up to 50 gall drums) can be sourced from farms if u have a friendly farmer. Althou may not look to good if going to be sat inside ur house
    Just a normal old fashioned rubbish bin will do, i used to store extra bags inside a plastic bin outside and they never took no hurt (still in the bag thou)

Are u keeping it in the same area as where the dog lives? Possibly not a good idea as no matter how safe and secure u think it is the little bu**ers will find a way in