Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&b 8x56 scope for foxing?

S&b 8x56 scope for foxing?

I've just been offered a second hand s&b 8x56 German with a a1 ret, do you guys think this would be suitable on my .222 for foxing lamping and day scope? Is this enough mag?. And suitable ret?

Quote Originally Posted by gonefoxin View Post
    I've just been offered a second hand s&b 8x56 German with a a1 ret, do you guys think this would be suitable on my .222 for foxing lamping and day scope? Is this enough mag?. And suitable ret?
    Many a fox taken with that spec scope on a 222 buddy. If the price is good, do it

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

+1

Yep buy it great scopes I have 2
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

S&B 8x56 is definately good lamping-medicine. I've never used the A1 reticle, though. Mine is a A4 or A7 (not sure which), but the A1 should certainly be visible in low light.

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    go with that variable meopta you were offered, the extra mag will prove most useful for better shot placement and more importantly quarry recognition. The reticules on s&bs are quite thick when compared to other scope (fix mag I'm referring to) and therefore tend to obscure more target area than other scopes.

The tasco titan for sale here on the forum would make a very good scope for you lamping and is not overpriced! (unlike s&b scopes.. and yes I had two! a 6x42 and a 3-12x50..both went)

Experience talking not brand snobbery btw

Quote Originally Posted by monarman View Post
    go with that variable meopta you were offered, the extra mag will prove most useful for better shot placement and more importantly quarry recognition. The reticules on s&bs are quite thick when compared to other scope (fix mag I'm referring to) and therefore tend to obscure more target area than other scopes.

The tasco titan for sale here on the forum would make a very good scope for you lamping and is not overpriced! (unlike s&b scopes.. and yes I had two! a 6x42 and a 3-12x50..both went)

Experience talking not brand snobbery btw
    you have a far point there fella the reticule may well cover to much fox

At low light or if rushing one tends to shoot high with the old german post reticle.
    I used one for a while but don't want one again. Try hold over on a crow at 250yds.....
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    At low light or if rushing one tends to shoot high with the old german post reticle.
    I used one for a while but don't want one again. Try hold over on a crow at 250yds.....
    edi
    I was thinking that A1 might not be best for this particular job...

Avoid the a1 like the plague!

Horrible thing. Hard enough in broad daylight shooting at deer sized animals. Bloody impossible at night on fox sized animals - inevitably shoot high.