Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paint removal from wooden stock

Question Paint removal from wooden stock

The previous owner of my .222 painted the wooden stock on it black.
    I am contemplating taking it back to a natural finish and oiling the stripped wood.
    What would be the best way to remove the paint causing minimum damage to the wood underneath?

Paint stripper, but if the first coats of paint were thinned it will be very difficult to get all traces of colour out of the wood.
    You could also save the hard work and have it stripped in a dip tank, probably find one at the local furniture restorers.
    Failing that if you (or a friend) have access to hot vapour degreasing plant, I can promise it will remove all traces of
    staining in the wood after you manually strip the worst of the paint off.

Neil.

as Hornet says paint stripper but don't be frightened to give it a good rinse with soapy water then clean water to remove any trace of stripper and dry gently it will lift the grain but fine sandpaper then steel wool will take it down

Thanks Neil
    The residual paint left in the wood after stripping it was what was concerning me.
    As it is a baikal I wonder if it would be possible to pick up another stock and fore-end or even if it might mean me ruining the stock,just leave things be.
    The old adage " it it ain't broke don't fix it" may well apply and for the first time in my life I might even take notice of it if that's the case

Quote Originally Posted by roedeerred View Post
    as Hornet says paint stripper but don't be frightened to give it a good rinse with soapy water then clean water to remove any trace of stripper and dry gently it will lift the grain but fine sandpaper then steel wool will take it down

Thanks roedeered

I would n't use stripper. Instead use a hot air gun and a very sharp cabinet scrapper. I use the same removing paint and / or varnish off wooden boats - leaves a very much cleaner finish than paint stripper. You may need to grind the scrapers into various shapes. Look on YouTube on how to sharpen a cabinet scrapper.

alternativley, given that it's a Baikal whose stock shape are not as shapely as they could be, just use a rasp and file then sandpaper to take off the paint and reshape the stock.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 08-01-2014 at 22:29.

Not intended to take thread off topic but does anyone know if the chemicals in a dipping tank would dissolve epoxy resin bedding? I am presuming it would.

i did a stock on a old shotgun aya no4 forend as well with nitomors v/paint remover put some on leave two or three mins rinse with meths reapply more stripper till clean any awkward bits do with toothbrush meths in between coats finnally rinse with soapy water when completly dry oil with 80 linseed 20 white spirits s many times as you like , put it this way it will be better than paint.. PS WEAR GLOVES. AND GLASSES.
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 08-01-2014 at 23:06.

Use Nitromors craftsman the yellow one then wash with warm soapy water rinse clean and dry for a day.

Then re finish as per normal.

Plenty to think about chaps,thank you for all the replies