Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Hello Charlie

  1. #1

    Hello Charlie

    I have just watched ( Again) the Hello Charlie edition....Will you Pass a British Deer stalkers Cert! DSC 1

    What I cannot understand is how a guy who can clearly hold a gun, and knows how to use it. From his range work in various positions manages
    to get all is shots in a 4inch circle. then when sighting the rifle he was to use, he admits to pulling one! he pulled it about 2 inches so it would still kill the animal he was shooting.
    Then he went on a Stalk and Completely missed a shot at a deer??????????Underneath ????? even a pull shot by a hunter a round would not move that far from the point of aim.
    Unless he was shooting well out of comfortably range or he was going for a head / neck shot, or he did not hold the rifle correctly?? I am sorry for sounding judgmental here, but under the conditions of the stalk
    all I can think of is Gut shot.
    Please do not come back trying to slate me for my opinion. This is how it looks to me! after all a Gut shot would not have gone well for this Novice hunter.

    DSC1 Is it necessary to take this? Just to put meat on your table or in your freezer ????.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by yorky07 View Post
    DSC1 Is it necessary to take this? Just to put meat on your table or in your freezer ????.
    No it isn't.

    Neil.

  3. #3
    Well, depends really. If the land owner insists you have DSC1 and you want to shoot there and put meat on the table by so doing, then you could say it's necessary. It isn't compulsory to have it or illegal not to have it. You can always look for somewhere else. Or just not shoot deer.

  4. #4
    Well, depends really. If the land owner insists you have DSC1 and you want to shoot there and put meat on the table by so doing, then you could say it's necessary. It isn't compulsory to have it or illegal not to have it. You can always look for somewhere else. Or just not shoot deer.

    So in effect a land owner insists you have DSC1 so he can charge you a ridiculous price for a stalk on his land. then charge you for the shot, then charge you for the carcass. Sounds like Private land New Zealand.
    So whats the point???

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by yorky07 View Post
    Well, depends really. If the land owner insists you have DSC1 and you want to shoot there and put meat on the table by so doing, then you could say it's necessary. It isn't compulsory to have it or illegal not to have it. You can always look for somewhere else. Or just not shoot deer.

    So in effect a land owner insists you have DSC1 so he can charge you a ridiculous price for a stalk on his land. then charge you for the shot, then charge you for the carcass. Sounds like Private land New Zealand.
    So whats the point???
    As I understand it taking DSC1 can actually be very beneficial. For example, (true story) I have no experience of stalking and limited experience of large rifles. I don't know anyone who stalks, so DSC1 will probably be one of my first steps into stalking. It will allow me to gain some of the skills and experience I need at the beginning of my "stalking journey" and help me understand how and what I will need to do if I do, as you suggest take some paid for stalking or am lucky enough to find some for free. When I apply for a deer rifle my DSC1 will serve as part of the evidence of my good reason to possess said weapon, and may help the Police to see that I have a genuine interest and at least the bare minimum level of skill required. So for me, that's the point.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    As I understand it taking DSC1 can actually be very beneficial. For example, (true story) I have no experience of stalking and limited experience of large rifles. I don't know anyone who stalks, so DSC1 will probably be one of my first steps into stalking. It will allow me to gain some of the skills and experience I need at the beginning of my "stalking journey" and help me understand how and what I will need to do if I do, as you suggest take some paid for stalking or am lucky enough to find some for free. When I apply for a deer rifle my DSC1 will serve as part of the evidence of my good reason to possess said weapon, and may help the Police to see that I have a genuine interest and at least the bare minimum level of skill required. So for me, that's the point.
    Well amazing as it is you're wrong , police cannot insist you have level 1 to get a deer legal rifle there is no legal basis , and as for it leading you to stalking don't hold out any hope of it leading you to permission ( most landowners don't have a clue what the dsc level 1 is nor do they care if you have it ) as you say to a complete novice it can be useful showing you the ropes if you have zero experiance of stalking but don't be fooled into thinking it's good reason for the police because it isn't
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by yorky07 View Post
    Unless he was shooting well out of comfortably range or he was going for a head / neck shot, or he did not hold the rifle correctly?? I am sorry for sounding judgmental here, but under the conditions of the stalk
    all I can think of is Gut shot.
    He's on here.... ask him?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

    Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Well amazing as it is you're wrong , police cannot insist you have level 1 to get a deer legal rifle there is no legal basis , and as for it leading you to stalking don't hold out any hope of it leading you to permission ( most landowners don't have a clue what the dsc level 1 is nor do they care if you have it ) as you say to a complete novice it can be useful showing you the ropes if you have zero experiance of stalking but don't be fooled into thinking it's good reason for the police because it isn't
    No need for the sarcastic tone.
    I didn't say the police could insist, just that it serves as a good piece of evidence. Otherwise I'm a man with no experience and no knowledge applying for a firearm I will potentially have no idea how to use for its intended purpose. Risky in the FEO's eyes?
    I also made no reference to DSC1 being a way to get permission, I just said that when I do start stalking, be it paid outings or on my own ground (leased, syndicate, friendly farmer or whatever) DSC1 will serve me as a very basic starting point of knowledge.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    He's on here.... ask him?
    ...Thats the only and right way!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

  10. #10
    Is this the one about moi?!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

    DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Similar Threads

  1. Hi there, - Charlie-
    By Charlie223 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-09-2013, 10:47
  2. naughty charlie
    By ziggy in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22-01-2013, 21:34
  3. Charlie?
    By Mungo in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-04-2012, 20:44
  4. charlie
    By tika.308 in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 29-08-2009, 13:04
  5. Out for Charlie............................
    By re'M'ington in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-07-2008, 20:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •