Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yukon men - New series on Discovery channel.

Thumbs up Yukon men - New series on Discovery channel.

Worth watching for good insights into hunting. Always difficult to judge reality on these shows but large calibre, open sights, off hand shooting seems impressive.
    The first show has some good scenes of Moose hunting and is not too sanitised for the Walt Disney masses.

I wonder why they don't use sticks ? the one that they tracked (no dog?) appeared to be shot across the river of hand at what looked to be a couple of hundred yards , I suppose if you need it for food you must be prepared to take the opportunity when it arises ..

I did notice that - no sticks and the range did look rather long for an off hand shot. Considering they're all maxed out with dogs I was surprised that they didn't take a pack (or two) with them for the following morning.
    On one of the recent episodes it looked like they shot a grizzly with a 223, then in the next shot a young lad is despatched to find a bear with a 300 Win Mag.

I like it,they are certainly not playing at it thats for sure, of course it gets sexed up a little for tv but even so, and agreed they do seem to take some long shots offhand, and as for the grizzly with a .223 rather them than me, all I can say is I would want a large magazine capacity.

Was i the only one watching through my fingers as the guy dispatched the stunned wolverine with a pistol because cameraman was standing in the line of fire if it ricochet ??
    Last edited by Scots_stalker; 09-01-2014 at 10:23.

That sounds like it's worth a watch. There are a bunch of them on you tube so I may try some of those out the next time it is windy & raining outside at night. There is also another similar series called Mountain Men by the look of it that I will check out.

some folks make me laugh! lol

Quote Originally Posted by highseat6.5 View Post
    I wonder why they don't use sticks ? the one that they tracked (no dog?) appeared to be shot across the river of hand at what looked to be a couple of hundred yards , I suppose if you need it for food you must be prepared to take the opportunity when it arises .. .
    Growing up from the age of 9 10 I used my grandads 22 rimfire used to nail foxs @ 100 yards and wouldn't think twice of shooting off hand; I only ever use to get the 222 to nail roe and grampa always made me shoot them in the head 100 yards plus again just kneeling free hand and I rarely ever missed lol all this modern equipment and attitudes ohh you need sticks to shoot from etc ohh this has me in giggles; even using variable scopes I had someone tell me not so long ago ohh u have to use a variable scope to shoot long ranges over 100 yards lol ehh no u don't lolI think it all comes down to how u got into shooting and what your roots are ; I think a lot of shooters nowadays have all the gear and no idea these guys are back to basics and prove they can provide for themselves and familys with there gear lol
    LIVE AND LET LIVE! THERES ALWAYS ANOTHER DAY!

Quote Originally Posted by robert1666 View Post
    Growing up from the age of 9 10 I used my grandads 22 rimfire used to nail foxs @ 100 yards and wouldn't think twice of shooting off hand; I only ever use to get the 222 to nail roe and grampa always made me shoot them in the head 100 yards plus again just kneeling free hand and I rarely ever missed lol all this modern equipment and attitudes ohh you need sticks to shoot from etc ohh this has me in giggles; even using variable scopes I had someone tell me not so long ago ohh u have to use a variable scope to shoot long ranges over 100 yards lol ehh no u don't lolI think it all comes down to how u got into shooting and what your roots are ; I think a lot of shooters nowadays have all the gear and no idea these guys are back to basics and prove they can provide for themselves and familys with there gear lol
    Im not the best marksman (not bad just not the best), but I'm pretty sure I could hit and wound a moose at 200 yards off hand. I'd probably use sticks to give me a solid position to kill it rather than wound it though.

Offhand at 200 yards against moose and .223 against bear .
    Nothing good or ethical about either.
    Think I'll pass on watching it.

Shame there's nothing on Norway, Sweden, Finland...think that would have more relevance.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

I saw a bit which shocked me at first but then I re-thought it and it made sense. This is their food. Another opportunity may not come along.

Effectively it was a 100-150m shot over iron sights standing unsupported with the female shooter stating something along the lines of "With the first shot you have to wound it so it can't get away and then kill it with the second" They didn't state what the calibre was but it looked about a 300 or similar.

She took the shot wounding the moose and then followed it up with the kill shot.

I didn't agree with or understand another shooting of a moose over the river (a long shot) where it was bleeding as a result but not badly and was quick enough to evade the hunters but fortunately on an island so they returned the following day and found and dispatched it.
    Last edited by widu13; 09-01-2014 at 14:59. Reason: Clarification
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian