Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ray Mears, book and radio

Ray Mears, book and radio

I've just finished his book, "my outdoor life", really enjoyed it, well worth reading.
    He likes the Blaser R8 and favours .416 Remington magnum when around dangerous game...just a couple of snippets from the book.

Also he was on the last Desert Island Discs on radio 4. It was nice to hear someone down to earth on that, so often they have academics or arty farty folk.

You can catch up on that and others on this site. It's interesting to delve into that, "Andy McNab" was good on it too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features...t-island-discs
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Also he was on the last Desert Island Discs on radio 4. It was nice to hear someone down to earth on that, so often they have academics or arty farty folk.
    +1

Both my wife and I listened independently to Ray Mears on DID last week and then said how much we'd enjoyed it and how level-headed he is.

Thanks also for the heads-up on the book - I have a couple of long flights ahead of me so that sounds like it would be a good read.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I read the book a couple of months ago, and very enjoyable it was
    Shame it was the kindle version as I bet the photograph was good in the real book.

Neil.

Very good to listen to on DID, but I kept expecting KY to ask him ever so nicely how he felt about being virtually elbowed off the telly by Mr. Grylls.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

I would guess you could learn a lot more off Ray than Bear ,the only problems I could see one having ,firstly stopping Ray eating all the food and Secondly being able to afford all the hotel bills with Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Johno100 View Post
    I would guess you could learn a lot more off Ray than Bear ,the only problems I could see one having ,firstly stopping Ray eating all the food and Secondly being able to afford all the hotel bills with Bear
    I'd forget Bear Grylls and go with the bloke who always comes out of the woods podgier than when he went in.

Old Ray has been taking quite a knocking in the last few years, especially in many of the the Bushcraft circles/forums that I frequent, but at the end of the day he has probably got more people interested in spending time out in the great outdoors than most people in this country so more power to him. I have heard he does stalk fairly regularly so he can't be all bad, what ever you think of him. At the end of the day he is a TV personality, along with Bear, but he has done a lot to help keep the old ways & skills alive such as tracking etc.., which is a good thing in my book.

Saw Mr. Mears on his stage tour earlier this year. He wasn't a confident stage presence, but did a great job regardless. When the stage talk/presentation was over and as I was leaving, Ray was still sitting in the foyer signing books, programs, or just about anything that was plonked in front of him. Having his photo taken with all and sundry that had paid good money to see him. He wasn't away on his toes like so many celebs are after taking our hard earned cash. Well done that man I say!

Quote Originally Posted by Neumo View Post
    Old Ray has been taking quite a knocking in the last few years, especially in many of the the Bushcraft circles/forums that I frequent, but at the end of the day he has probably got more people interested in spending time out in the great outdoors than most people in this country so more power to him. I have heard he does stalk fairly regularly so he can't be all bad, what ever you think of him. At the end of the day he is a TV personality, along with Bear, but he has done a lot to help keep the old ways & skills alive such as tracking etc.., which is a good thing in my book.
    No intent to hijack thread but I'd be interested to know what RM's done to incur the displeasure of the so-called Bushcraft Community.

Ignorance of such can only be my fault of course as although still a member of a BCUK I've not logged in for some years so just hope its more constructive criticism than simply his Alan Wood bushcraft knife waiting list is now c20 years!

He seems a very likeable chap albeit I've never met him which of course is most certainly no guarantee of coming away clearer in the composition of a soul.

K

I always found it odd that if ray is as keen a stalker as he's made out to be why he doesn't speak up more about it in the media and raise our profile with the general public ?
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions