Thread: howa boyds stock bedding

howa boyds stock bedding

Just looking for a bit of advice Gents.

I have just received my new boyds thumbhole feather weight stock and have been looking at bedding this stock. What compounds do people recommend for this and also should I be pillar bedding this at the same time, as looking at the rear action screw there isnt a lot of material around this area to allow drilling out of this area.

Any tips/advice greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by will-g View Post

I have just received my new boyds thumbhole feather weight stock and have been looking at bedding this stock. What compounds do people recommend for this and also should I be pillar bedding this at the same time, as looking at the rear action screw there isnt a lot of material around this area to allow drilling out of this area.

Have you tried shooting it without bedding ? mine shoots sub 1" , just bolted it in.

To be honest i havent. Have you had it in and out of the stock and checked for any zero shift as well ? Just not sure what to expect with the laminate

Cheers

I shot mine for a year or so and it was fine, then I got a hankering to fiddle, so I glass bedded it with Acraglas, and it was easy to do, and it certainly didn't make things worse I didn't bother with pillars
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by will-g View Post

You could make a partial pillar for the rear, just counter bore the screw hole slightly with an end mill, partially machine a pillar to fit leaving the top dia larger. A bit like a cap head screw if you like. Short of that don't bother putting pillars in, if you don't intend removing the stock you don't need pillars, just be careful of the tang are though, there's quite a gap to fill.

Thanks for that Gents,

Much appreciated