Thread: Eliott, Elliott, Elliot, etc info?

Account Suspended

Eliott, Elliott, Elliot, etc info?

This is not deer stalking or deer stalking related, that I know off.

However, as we are among a gathering of so many countrymen... ie. my countrymen and also men of the country... I'm hoping some of you might be able to assist.

I have had a request from an overseas friend seeking background information regarding one Grace Dalrymple Elliott... She who was the famous courtesan of the French revolution.

Evidently her courtesanly ways were/are well reported and commonly known... However, she also seems to have a very intriguing back story, a very murky back story that points toward all manner of secret goings on and endless connections to the highest and most influential places, including the early versions of our own current secret service. It is in regard to this back story that any info would be gratefully received.

If anyone has any info they think might be of interest regarding Grace in particular or the family in general or pointers towards such, please let me know. This would be to the purpose of allowing a historian to make better sense of what info he already has.

Thanks in advance~Tom

ps. we realise there are many spellings of the name and a certain rhyme to go with. Frankly, any interesting stories of an Eliott or Dalrymple nature might prove very pleasing to my friend. Having aid this, the usual sources have been well trawled already.

Liddisdale down here in the borders has Elliots of every spelling,could be a good starting point if you know anybody from Newcastleton (copshaw) area?? several on here..

In the late 70s I was proud to be one of a few that that rode on horseback from Hawick to Hermitage castle following the route Mary queen of scotts took to visit her lover (I think) this was in conjuction with a gathering of Elliots from around the globe ..

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by nell View Post
    Liddisdale down here in the borders has Elliots of every spelling,could be a good starting point if you know anybody from Newcastleton (copshaw) area?? several on here..

In the late 70s I was proud to be one of a few that that rode on horseback from Hawick to Hermitage castle following the route Mary queen of scotts took to visit her lover (I think) this was in conjuction with a gathering of Elliots from around the globe ..
    Well I ken Johnny Davidson, Adderston Sheils, though I hivnae spoke wi 'im in a hellish lang while noo. Great guy to spend time with I'll tell you, fond o' a dram and foo o stories.... And I remember he was pally with a very public schoolie type, Billy Eliott, decent chap that he seemed too... Other than that I'm at a loss.

There was something at the back of my mind about a lady Eliott in a big house over the border somewhere. Anyone know about her?

Ah ken Johnny and his land well, a close friend of mines son has worked for Johnny for aboot a hunder year. Johnny once asked a follower of the hunt who had taken a tumble on the farm to blow his nose before leaving, when asked why Johnny replied, soil is scarce enough on this farm n e hav a muckle lump up yur hooter..
    Baroness Elliot of Harwood (Katherine) would be who your thinking of, she passed away many years ago and the estate has since changed hands..

Account Suspended
    Johnny once asked a follower of the hunt who had taken a tumble on the farm to blow his nose before leaving, when asked why Johnny replied, soil is scarce enough on this farm n e hav a muckle lump up yur hooter..
    Aye! That wad be Johnny, richt enough...

Thanks for answering... Young Margaret, the clan chief it'll ha tae be then. Tho' I doubt she'll ken whit am after learnin.

Johnny Davidson always cracks me up... as dry as a stick on the face of it, catches you every time... then he collapses in laughter after he's delivered his line. Very funny guy... Proper old school too, knows every beast he's ever owned like they were right there in front of him now.

Account Suspended
    Ah ken Johnny and his land well, a close friend of mines son has worked for Johnny for aboot a hunder year. Johnny once asked a follower of the hunt who had taken a tumble on the farm to blow his nose before leaving, when asked why Johnny replied, soil is scarce enough on this farm n e hav a muckle lump up yur hooter..
    Baroness Elliot of Harwood (Katherine) would be who your thinking of, she passed away many years ago and the estate has since changed hands..
    Oh hey! Baroness Elliot? ... of course. She was a director of Lawrie and Symington, wasn't she? ... a very rich vein of info seems to be opening up if I've got that right...

A word with Mr Cairns is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Oh hey! Baroness Elliot? ... of course. She was a director of Lawrie and Symington, wasn't she? ... a very rich vein of info seems to be opening up if I've got that right...

A word with Mr Cairns is in order.
    Correct, owner of the oldest mart in uk?? or certainly Scotland , her son cashed it in along with the family silver ..ALLEGEDLY

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Aye! That wad be Johnny, richt enough...

Thanks for answering... Young Margaret, the clan chief it'll ha tae be then. Tho' I doubt she'll ken whit am after learnin.

Johnny Davidson always cracks me up... as dry as a stick on the face of it, catches you every time... then he collapses in laughter after he's delivered his line. Very funny guy... Proper old school too, knows every beast he's ever owned like they were right there in front of him now.
    Great stockman right enough , patience of a saint dealin wi they muckle sticky up lugged brutes , never been an innocent fox shot there either

Account Suspended
    Great stockman right enough , patience of a saint dealin wi they muckle sticky up lugged brutes , never been an innocent fox shot there either
    Bred some damned fine half-breds off them though... and we sold him plenty of those BL Tups to do it with too. Good customer Mr Davidson.