Thread: Garmin Astro – Uk legal???

Garmin Astro – Uk legal???

I’ve seen other posts about these units but all I want to know is are they legal to use in the UK? If not does anyone have any recommendations for other dog tracking GPS? I need it to be able to work both in thick forest and out on the hills. Just one of those things that might make life easier!!! Or just complicate it!

Why not get it from the horses mouth Garmin | United Kingdom |

Maybe not good enough for really out the way places but I stumbled on some cheep gsm/gps tracking devices that work with your phone and sms commands. I am thinking about trying one out on my dog more as an emergency way to find him if he gets lost. Down side is that they need GSM coverage to send you its location. So were I stalk in the Scottish borders I know deep in the valley bottoms it would not work but back home in Berkshire it would most of the time.

Search on ebay for GSM / GPS trackers. Around £30.

Quote Originally Posted by islandstalker View Post
    I’ve seen other posts about these units but all I want to know is are they legal to use in the UK? If not does anyone have any recommendations for other dog tracking GPS? I need it to be able to work both in thick forest and out on the hills. Just one of those things that might make life easier!!! Or just complicate it!
    Hi!
    I just changed from Garmin to Trackerhunter, and its the best choice by far!
    It runs on Android phones, will be on Iphones soon, I use an all net card in it, that allows me much more contact and roaming than the Garmin....
    If you get it installed correctly and join a few dog handler groups, it may make life much easier....!
    One of our group got called during a driven hunt in Germany, by a guy from Sweden, who joined the internet dogs group, and informed, that one dog is sending a steady signal without barking since 5 min. My friend left the stand, drove there and found his dog seriously wounded by a boar.... This time the Tracker500 saved the dogs life!

Not the cheapest thing to get, but worth all the money....
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.