Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalking Scotland and closed FAC

Stalking Scotland and closed FAC

Hi,

I plan to do some stalking in scotland later this year and am I right in thinking that I will need an open FAC to use my own rifles?

Thanks,

Martin

Yes, unless the land you are stalking on has been cleared. Most of the stalking land has been cleared. Someone will probably come along and say that they do not clear land in Scotland and everyone is given an open certificate, this is not the case (it may be in some areas but certainly not in the Aberdeenshire/Moray section area).

The land has to have been cleared by the Chief Constable for the area that the land is situated as suitable for the calibre of rifle you intend to use, if your certificate is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzking View Post
    The land has to have been cleared by the Chief Constable for the area that the land is situated as suitable for the calibre of rifle you intend to use, if your certificate is closed.
    Yes, I understand the wording on my licence. I thought that I had heard that they do not clear land in Scotland but AlasdairM's reply suggests that I heard wrong.

Regards,

Martin

Just wait until after the 'yes' vote and then you'll be stalking in a foreign country so the English police will have no jurisdiction! But you might need a European Firearm Pass...

Both my farms had to be pased for cal. i shoot and never got open cert everybody thinks that what you get in scotland not in aberdeenshire tho.

Used to get open cert on first renewal, but maybe that'll have stopped these days. Ground is cleared by FEO up to specific calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post
    Just wait until after the 'yes' vote and then you'll be stalking in a foreign country so the English police will have no jurisdiction! But you might need a European Firearm Pass...
    nahhh.. Guns & shooting will be banned if that happens... As will catapults, spoons and fishing nets!

No scottish ground I have ever shot on either open hill, woodland or farmland has ever been inspected or cleared for a specific calibre.
    If you are shooting on a bought day chances are they already have an estate rifle bigger than yours!

I had 1800 acres to stalk over just north of Aberdeen - it had been inspected and cleared up to .243 only. So yes, land is, has and can be inspected and cleared in Scotland for a specific calibre.