Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z6i choice

Z6i choice

I'm looking to replace an 8x56 S&B scope with a z6i but have a few questions which I hope you may be able to answer.

Is it worth going for a 56mm objective if the glass is so good on the 50mm?

If I never shoot below 6 mag why should I go for less than the 5-30 magnification as the magnification range on this model looks perfect and weight looks to be fine, is there a big difference to the 3-18?

Can the Sako 85 users let me know which Optilock rings they use, low or extra low and how much clearance is there for the objective bell and magnification ring?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Leupsak
    I've got the 2.5-15-56 Z6i and I've found it awesome. I'm not sure if its any better than the 50mm objective lens as I've never used one.

I'd go for the 50mm and you won't tell the difference plus it looks a little bit sleeker on the rifle

I've got both the 18x and 30x.The 18x is fine on a stalking rig and if I could only keep one this would be it.Having said that its always handy to have that extra mag for long range precision if thats your bag

Id go for the 5-30. Got a 2.5-15x56 and its utterly brilliant in every way but I never use it below 5 and quite often use it at 15, so while very happy with the scope I think for me a 5-30 would have been a better choice to get the most out of it

Thanks for the info and advice.
    Just one final question about a Sako 85 sporter barrel with 50mm lens, can I get away with extra low Optilock rings and still fit the protective lens covers?
    Any photos of 85s with Optilocks and Z6s?

Quote Originally Posted by Leupsak View Post
    Just one final question about a Sako 85 sporter barrel with 50mm lens, can I get away with extra low Optilock rings and still fit the protective lens covers?
    I think it will depend on your barrel profile, with a sporter weight barrel you might get away with the extra low Optilocks, I have a Sako 75 and a Z6i with 56mm objective and the extra low ones fit with just enough room for a cover, however with a thicker barrel there would not be enough room and you would need low mounts.

Anthony
    Thanks for the reply, just what I was hoping to hear as I want to keep the profile low and face tight to the cheek piece.
    Also I don't have the bolts to connect the block to the rings and as the extra low rings come with a short replacement bolt it looks a perfect solution

Quote Originally Posted by Leupsak View Post
    Yes

Better still invest in the Swaro screw in cover
    Last edited by Wsm; 11-01-2014 at 16:29.

Having had both I'd rather the 56 objective. I've just ordered another 2.5-15x56. Although the 5-30 is very good, you really don't need that much mag on a stalking rifle and you lose a lot of the sight picture up past 20x. If you want the extra 15 mins of light, go for the 2.5-15x56. If you don't the 3-18x50 is the one to have.

I have the Z6i 2.5-15 x 56 BT and it is awesome. As previously said I normally shoot at 5-7 x magnification but quite often crank it up to 15 x for identification especially in winter when the bucks have cast their antlers. Sometimes a bit more magnification would be better
    Mine is mounted on a Tikka T3 varmint on low mounts but the extra low mounts are too low to clear the barrel
    Wingy