Z6i choice

Leupsak

I'm looking to replace an 8x56 S&B scope with a z6i but have a few questions which I hope you may be able to answer.

Is it worth going for a 56mm objective if the glass is so good on the 50mm?

If I never shoot below 6 mag why should I go for less than the 5-30 magnification as the magnification range on this model looks perfect and weight looks to be fine, is there a big difference to the 3-18?

Can the Sako 85 users let me know which Optilock rings they use, low or extra low and how much clearance is there for the objective bell and magnification ring?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Leupsak
I've got the 2.5-15-56 Z6i and I've found it awesome. I'm not sure if its any better than the 50mm objective lens as I've never used one.

I'd go for the 50mm and you won't tell the difference plus it looks a little bit sleeker on the rifle

I've got both the 18x and 30x.The 18x is fine on a stalking rig and if I could only keep one this would be it.Having said that its always handy to have that extra mag for long range precision if thats your bag

Id go for the 5-30. Got a 2.5-15x56 and its utterly brilliant in every way but I never use it below 5 and quite often use it at 15, so while very happy with the scope I think for me a 5-30 would have been a better choice to get the most out of it

Thanks for the info and advice.
Just one final question about a Sako 85 sporter barrel with 50mm lens, can I get away with extra low Optilock rings and still fit the protective lens covers?
Any photos of 85s with Optilocks and Z6s?

Just one final question about a Sako 85 sporter barrel with 50mm lens, can I get away with extra low Optilock rings and still fit the protective lens covers?

I think it will depend on your barrel profile, with a sporter weight barrel you might get away with the extra low Optilocks, I have a Sako 75 and a Z6i with 56mm objective and the extra low ones fit with just enough room for a cover, however with a thicker barrel there would not be enough room and you would need low mounts.

Anthony
Thanks for the reply, just what I was hoping to hear as I want to keep the profile low and face tight to the cheek piece.
Also I don't have the bolts to connect the block to the rings and as the extra low rings come with a short replacement bolt it looks a perfect solution:thumb:

Yes ;)

Better still invest in the Swaro screw in cover

Last edited:
Having had both I'd rather the 56 objective. I've just ordered another 2.5-15x56. Although the 5-30 is very good, you really don't need that much mag on a stalking rifle and you lose a lot of the sight picture up past 20x. If you want the extra 15 mins of light, go for the 2.5-15x56. If you don't the 3-18x50 is the one to have.

I have the Z6i 2.5-15 x 56 BT and it is awesome. As previously said I normally shoot at 5-7 x magnification but quite often crank it up to 15 x for identification especially in winter when the bucks have cast their antlers. Sometimes a bit more magnification would be better
Mine is mounted on a Tikka T3 varmint on low mounts but the extra low mounts are too low to clear the barrel
Wingy

Hiya mate,
I swapped my 8x56 S+B for a 5-30x50 Z6i last year. About 2 weeks later I chopped it in for a 3-18x50 because I hated it. It was just too long and ungainly (and mine had the BR RET which I wasnt fussed on) It's a very big scope. The 3-18 is quite long as well but not as bad. My mates both use the 2.5x56 but I couldnt get a 1st gen one and couldnt justify a second gen one. I sat out tonight and with my scope on 8. I could see way beyond legal shooting time and beyond the ability of my Leica Bins. The 2.5-15 is a lovely scope and would be my choice if I was buying another. Nothing in it really. Love the Swaro front cover but the back one fixes to the focus ring and it keep moving the focus:cry:. There are times when I regret swapping my 8x56 as it was a perfectly adequate scope and the change cost me over £1500.

Ezzy

I bought a z6i brand new a few months ago, and it never shot right, it went back twice, leupold and Schmidt n bender both shot well on the rifle. The Swarovski was nothing but problems , I have heard some worrying things about where parts are made, and dealers in the UK sending numerous back, only to be told " nothing is wrong with your scope", I was told the same. I am going over to Kaps.

I bought a z6i brand new a few months ago, and it never shot right, it went back twice, leupold and Schmidt n bender both shot well on the rifle. The Swarovski was nothing but problems , I have heard some worrying things about where parts are made, and dealers in the UK sending numerous back, only to be told " nothing is wrong with your scope", I was told the same. I am going over to Kaps.

Have you come on here to just whine about Swarovski? 4 identical posts, and no introduction, so I'd crack on with that before Admin catch up with you...

Ask Callum Ferguson what he thinks about the z6 & what swaro said to him.
Brilliant company & renowned back up but even good companies have a bad un at times

Paul

I use a rail mount z6i 2.5 - 15 X 44 it sits low it's lighter than most and its rock solid , it's been on there 2 years and the zero has never needed touching

ive had excellent service from Swaro as one of the o rings that seal the lens protectors had come away and they just sent me a complete new replacement no fuss

now that's service

I'm sure that people do get the odd bad one sometimes but I'm sure Swaro would rectify quick enough

Sorry thats just ********

2.5 15 56 would by my choice I have 2 and they are just so nice to use

I also had a Z6i 2/12/50 and a Z6 5/30/50 which were equaly nice and I had an 8/56 fixed

The 5/30 was just unnnessary for me but ALL of them came to the eye quickly and had crystal clear optics.

I also have had three Zeiss scopes a Schmit and Bender, three Leopolds and a Vortex

None of them were a scratch on the Swaro 2.5 15 56 in terms of coming to the eye and versatility

I sold the 2 12 50 Swaro for my 17HMR as i couldent face having a £1250.00 scope on a £300 rifel

I regret that decision.

ATB

I have 2 5-30s with BT,a Gen 1 and a Gen 2,both on Sakos,both in low rings(could get away with xtra lows,but probably wouldn't be enough clearance for lens/scope cover). I use both for long range bunnies and targets,the Gen 1 has,however,developed an issue with the windage adjustment. I do have complete confidence that Swarovski will sort the issue,service it and get it back to me within 3 weeks. Enough of all this Swaro bashing,their customer service is second to none as is their quality.
I do think the 5-30 is one of the most versatile scopes available,low enough mag and good FOV at 5x,for most stalking applications and at 30x,good enough for some long range stuff. Only wish it had twiddly knobs on the windage,then it would be perfect.

I have a gen1 2.5 15x56i and would not swap it ever, I have zeroed it in at 15x but never had the need to use that amount of mag on a beast as I can see it fine on the lower settings. Would be nice to have the Parallax on the other side though?

Back