Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Hare in tomatoe sauce recipe!

  1. #1

    Lightbulb Hare in tomatoe sauce recipe!

    I was wondering if anyone knew of a Scandinavian recipe that was made with hare and a tomatoe sauce? Or whatever your hare recipe is?
    Cheers Joe
    Last edited by Capstankid; 11-01-2014 at 18:42.

  2. #2
    Hi search recent threads for excellent selection of recipes.

  3. #3
    Tomato soup is real goer.
    Use a good thick brand of Tomato soup. ( 3 to 4 tins for an adult Hare) and cook as you would a casserole .. Plenty of fresh veg and don`t forget those Parsley flavoured dumplings!
    The slower you cook it the better it will be.
    Last edited by basil; 10-01-2014 at 22:59.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Tomato soup is real goer.
    Use a good thick brand of Tomato soup. ( 3 to 4 tins for an adult Hare) and cook as you would a casserole .. Plenty of fresh veg and don`t forget those Parsley flavoured dumplings!
    The slower you cook it the better it will be.
    That sounds awesome cheers, will get that made up tonight!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Capstankid View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew of a Scandinavian recipe that was made with hare and a tomatoe sauce? Or whatever your hare recipe is?
    Cheers Joe
    Hi, just fry some onions 500gram will do, add 15 cloves of garlic and sweat that through then add 500ml of tomato pasata and 200ml of red wine and stir in some mixed herbs, salt and pepper, lots of paprika, 1 table spoon of sugar or honey. Once heated through well, show it a liquidiser and add 250ml of double cream, sit it to one side.
    Take the hare either jointed or diced and rub it in flour, then brown it off in lots of butter with a good 200grams of smoked streaky bacon (cubed). Add the hare and bacon to the sauce and chuck in 2 bay leaves.
    Place it all into a cast iron casserole dish or similar and pop it into an oven at 125 deg c. Cook it off for 5 hrs or over night and add red wine if it looks too thick.
    Once cooked, serve with pasta.

    Kind regards, Olaf

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    Hi, just fry some onions 500gram will do, add 15 cloves of garlic and sweat that through then add 500ml of tomato pasata and 200ml of red wine and stir in some mixed herbs, salt and pepper, lots of paprika, 1 table spoon of sugar or honey. Once heated through well, show it a liquidiser and add 250ml of double cream, sit it to one side.
    Take the hare either jointed or diced and rub it in flour, then brown it off in lots of butter with a good 200grams of smoked streaky bacon (cubed). Add the hare and bacon to the sauce and chuck in 2 bay leaves.
    Place it all into a cast iron casserole dish or similar and pop it into an oven at 125 deg c. Cook it off for 5 hrs or over night and add red wine if it looks too thick.
    Once cooked, serve with pasta.

    Kind regards, Olaf
    Next hare I will try that! Cheers

  7. #7
    SD Regular teyhan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Posts
    2,330
    Blog Entries
    1
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    15 cloves of garlic?
    Please clarify
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    15 cloves of garlic?
    Please clarify
    Yah, you just pop them in there allomg with the onions. I know what your saying, but they loose their stink as they get cooked for so long. Its like the classic Keith Floyd's roast chicken with 30 cloves of garlic, after that much cooking, its just a sweet taste that's left. Its very nice, try it.
    Kind regards, Olaf

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Capstankid View Post
    Next hare I will try that! Cheers
    It works very well with Venison too

Similar Threads

  1. easy red currant sauce please
    By sauer in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-08-2013, 22:05
  2. Game sauce..
    By basil in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2012, 14:12
  3. Pheasant breast with brandy cream sauce
    By 204 Ruger in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-10-2011, 19:37
  4. Loin of vension, cream, brandy and mushroom sauce.
    By 270Buck in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-12-2008, 19:16
  5. Pan fried venison with Bearnaise sauce.
    By basil in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-07-2008, 11:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •