Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-Zero? Not Sure

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar

Re-Zero? Not Sure

Do you need to zero once you have removed the barrel and action from a rifle for cleaning then refit it? Tikka T3 Lite in .243 Stainless Synthetic, if that makes any difference.....

I wouldn't think I'd need to as I'm not interfiering with anything that attatches the Scope to the Action/Barrel.

Cheers

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by deer man
    I would.
    Me too. Bedding makes a big difference. Otherwise riflesmiths would not spend so much time doing it.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I'll leave it on then, everyday's a school day in the world of Firearms and Stalking.

Cheers

TJ

me too !

if ever you are in doubt re- zero , better a few bullets that a deer !

cheers lee

I don't generally re-zero as such after stock removal but I do like to confirm zero. What I mean by this is that I will stick a baked bean can out on end at roughly 100m and just put one round into it (assuming I hit it). Not a grouping and zeroing session just a confidence check. JC

That's a really interesting question and one that I'd never really thought about until now.
    Logic would suggest that, within a perfect barrel, a bullet will travel down the bore and impact on the same point, time after time. When this happens we adjust our optics to suit that impact point. So why should the removal and replacement of the stock make any difference to the POI?
    I understand the free floating barrel principle but does stock contact with the action change barrel harmonics. I reckon not but am happy to be corrected.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock
    I'll leave it on then, everyday's a school day in the world of Firearms and Stalking.

Cheers

TJ
    TJ - I've seen a lot of T3s, but not taken *that* much notice. If it's suspected crud under the barrel that you wish to get out and there's a gap between forend and tube as there is on a Remington 700, then cut a length of 4X2, oil it and slide it underneath between the barrel and the stock. Pulled back and forth like when you drag a towel over your back on exiting the bath, it works just fine.

On the other hand, I may have completely misinterpreted the reason for your query, which case I'll get my coat and mind my own business.

That reminds me. I had a bath once...

KevinF.

ZERO

When out stalking i like to enjoy the day and not have to concern myself with is ithe rifle still spot on or not ,so i always do a zero check after removing the stock although only once have i ever found that the zero had shifted.
    I think the sacrifice of one round to reasure yourself all is well is a small price to pay especially when its often the first shot that counts .
    ATB
    RICK O SHEA

Re: Re-Zero? Not Sure

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock
    Do you need to zero once you have removed the barrel and action from a rifle for cleaning then refit it? Tikka T3 Lite in .243 Stainless Synthetic, if that makes any difference.....

I wouldn't think I'd need to as I'm not interfiering with anything that attatches the Scope to the Action/Barrel.

Cheers

TJ
    The only rifle I have seen that does not require to be re-zeroed after a barrel and scope change is the Accuracy International L96,

http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/AI_demo.html

for some reason I can't get the promo vid of the AI site?