Re-Zero? Not Sure

User00004

Do you need to zero once you have removed the barrel and action from a rifle for cleaning then refit it? Tikka T3 Lite in .243 Stainless Synthetic, if that makes any difference.....

I wouldn't think I'd need to as I'm not interfiering with anything that attatches the Scope to the Action/Barrel.

Cheers

TJ

I don't generally re-zero as such after stock removal but I do like to confirm zero. What I mean by this is that I will stick a baked bean can out on end at roughly 100m and just put one round into it (assuming I hit it). Not a grouping and zeroing session just a confidence check. JC

That's a really interesting question and one that I'd never really thought about until now.
Logic would suggest that, within a perfect barrel, a bullet will travel down the bore and impact on the same point, time after time. When this happens we adjust our optics to suit that impact point. So why should the removal and replacement of the stock make any difference to the POI?
I understand the free floating barrel principle but does stock contact with the action change barrel harmonics. I reckon not but am happy to be corrected.
Ed

tartinjock said:
I'll leave it on then, everyday's a school day in the world of Firearms and Stalking.

Cheers

TJ

TJ - I've seen a lot of T3s, but not taken *that* much notice. If it's suspected crud under the barrel that you wish to get out and there's a gap between forend and tube as there is on a Remington 700, then cut a length of 4X2, oil it and slide it underneath between the barrel and the stock. Pulled back and forth like when you drag a towel over your back on exiting the bath, it works just fine.

On the other hand, I may have completely misinterpreted the reason for your query, which case I'll get my coat and mind my own business.

That reminds me. I had a bath once...

KevinF.

ZERO

When out stalking i like to enjoy the day and not have to concern myself with is ithe rifle still spot on or not ,so i always do a zero check after removing the stock although only once have i ever found that the zero had shifted.
I think the sacrifice of one round to reasure yourself all is well is a small price to pay especially when its often the first shot that counts .
ATB
RICK O SHEA

tartinjock said:
Do you need to zero once you have removed the barrel and action from a rifle for cleaning then refit it? Tikka T3 Lite in .243 Stainless Synthetic, if that makes any difference.....

I wouldn't think I'd need to as I'm not interfiering with anything that attatches the Scope to the Action/Barrel.

Cheers

TJ

The only rifle I have seen that does not require to be re-zeroed after a barrel and scope change is the Accuracy International L96,

http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/AI_demo.html

for some reason I can't get the promo vid of the AI site?

I am seriously thinking about getting a laser bore sighter (cartridge style) just as a bit of re-assurance.

I can't remember where I read this but I believe the T3 lite doesn't come with a fully floated barrel from the factory, i.e. the stock touches the barrel in a certain place by design. I checked with my .223 version and it was certainly the case with that. I'm not sure if the .243 would be different, but if not then there is every chance that changing the stock and/or bedding will alter the zero as it won't be contacting the barrel in the same way!

Alex

Edit: found the reference to the non-floating barrel here:

http://berettausa.custhelp.com/cgi-...popup_adp.php?p_faqid=73&p_created=1081966475

(despite the user manual contradicting this!)

You should check zero if you move the action off the stock. There is a chance that it will not sit exactly the way it was previously and the screws may also be tightened at different torques than before. 8)

You will probably not find any movement from the previous zero point, but why test this on live quarry that may go off badly wounded. :oops:

Cheers,

J

I was hoping that someone would come up with a definative answer to this question but as yet, not so. Looks though that I may be way of beam.
However, consider this. The round sits in the chamber which is part of the barrel. If the barrel harmonics haven't changed due to the barrel touching the stock and the scope has not moved from its original setting, why should the bullet go anywhere other than where the cross hair indicates?
Serious question guys and I demand a serious answer.
Ed

Rifles are fickle things but if you torque the bedding screws to the same torque as last time there should be no requirement to check zero. It would be worth checking this theory with your perticular rifle to ensure this holds true.

Dave

Sleepyshrek,

The round sits in the chamber which is part of the barrel. If the barrel harmonics haven't changed due to the barrel touching the stock
You have hit the nail on the head yourself, if you put the action back in the stock, it may be sitting differently, therefor you should check zero each time as the harmonics could have changed. 8) I thought I had already said that :evil:

The use of a borescope is of no use whatsoever as this only gets a rifle scope on paper.

Krikey! If the rifle is bedded properly in the first place it won't make a difference. I have repeatedly yanked my 308 barreled action to adjust the trigger, returned it to the wood, and shot to the previous point of aim.

If of course, the bedding is suspect to begin with then rezeroing again (and again, and again, and again) is your only recourse. Try pulling the barreled action and see what happens. Pay attention to the screw tension.~Muir

When I've done work on my rifle I always fire one round at a target. It's not hard to do and could save you from a wounded Deer. Most of the time they are spot on but I've had the POI move a couple of inches before.

Any slight change of pressure on an action can change things. I don't claim to know why, I can only speak from experience.

Likewise, all of my rifles are pillar bedded into reputable synthetic stocks. I use a Wheeler FAT torque screwdriver to assure repetitive bolt loading and my experience is that the original zero is totally repeatable.

I do recognise that this may not apply to other peoples rifles tho' ....

Back