Anyone know what make this is ???

chrisc

.22 flobert.jpg I have just bought this as I like odd .22 rifles but have not seen one like this before so if anyone can shed any light on it please say.

regards chris

Husqvarna model 55 .22 single shot rifle? I would have expected the barrel to be engraved though if made by such a well known maker.

thank you all I new I could depend on you to help me out with this one.

regards chris

Flobert, say's on the picture.
I had a 9mm Flobert once, used to be very popular as garden guns.

edi

I think you'll find Flobert just means it is smooth bore.
In Germany, before all the gun laws got tightened up, week-end catalogues used to advertise .22 and 9mm Floberts for use in gardens and cellars and they were all smooth bore.

thanks eMcc for the reply in a indirect way I thought that as yo can but the low powered flobert ammo, I could not give more details at 1st about the rifle as I have just received it today and I am very happy with it but it has a longer barrel than what I have seen before on flobert type/sort arms.

I think Flobert actually means a cartridge (usually rimfire?) that uses the priming compound as sole propellant.

I thought the 4mm firearms once frei in the Fatherland usually had rifled barrels - though I'm not sure.

Certainly the 6mm Floberts were available as smoothbore for shot or rifled for round/pointed bullets.

German catalogues from the 60s have 9mm only as smoothbore, but with ball ammunition available.

Last edited:
What I found about Flobert, was that he came up with the cartridge design mid 1800 which was mainly used for smooth bore but also rifled target pistols/revolvers. Often used indoors. Long guns came later most smooth bore as mentioned. Several companies manufactured these guns including Voerer and Anschuetz.
1912 Catalogue. http://www.digitalis.uni-koeln.de/Stuken/stuken221-225.pdf
edi

What a super link!
Fans of Kipling's 'Stalky & Co' will recognise the infamous saloon pistols which our heros deployed to such effect.

I note the better ones are available with rifled bores.

In Germany, before all the gun laws got tightened up, week-end catalogues used to advertise .22 and 9mm Floberts for use in gardens and cellars and they were all smooth bore.

I have sold many dozens of Flobert guns that were 4mm an rifled. Some larger rifled calibers and some smoothbores. I was always under the impression that "Flobert" refers to the toggle-block breeching system.~Muir

Back