Lee Enfield No 4

jr57

Hello, Does anyone use a Lee Enfield No 4 for stalking and if so what ammunition are they using (reloaded)?

Thanks in anticipation.

Is it spoterised, or still in full military stock? I found the No 5 to be better for stalking than the full wood No 4.

Found some Federal factory loads (150gn soft points) that I can pass a DSC1 shooting test with in my SMLE.

Same bullet in my .308 puts the deer down, no reason why it won't in the .303 :)

Same bullet????? 308 bullets are 0.308" diameter ---- 303 bullets are 0.311".

I think that If you're shooting 308 in a 303 you may get blow by & probably low chamber pressure.:( The bullet may obturate & seal the gap but it may not. (Lead muzzle loading bullets (99% pure) do seal, but are necessarily very soft to successfully seal in the bore) - I suspect jacketed bullets would be too hard & would leak.
If you're shooting 303 in a 308 you may get excessively high pressures.:scared: Take care!!!

I'd be interested to hear the views of those with specific experience of this.

Ian

I knew, still do, a guy, now aged in his seventies. that used a Parker Hale no4 Supreme for deer, bear, wild horses, and pretty much everything else. He used in it 174 grain soft point bullets loaded by Kynoch. This only because they stopped making the 215 grain soft point that he preferred.

Be aware that the old Speer 180 grain round nose soft point DROPS LIKE A STONE past 100 yards! I tried some thirty plus years ago when that was all the only .303" bullet available to reloaders.

I think that If you're shooting 308 in a 303 you may get blow by & probably low chamber pressure.:( The bullet may obturate & seal the gap but it may not. (Lead muzzle loading bullets (99% pure) do seal, but are necessarily very soft to successfully seal in the bore) - I suspect jacketed bullets would be too hard & would leak.
If you're shooting 303 in a 308 you may get excessively high pressures.:scared: Take care!!!

Ian

I don't think he meant "the same bullet" just that they are both 150grn SP.
Bullets I've used in mine for deer are, Sierra 150grn Pro Hunter, Norma 130grn SP and Hornady 174grn RN. All driven by various charges of Vv N140.
I found the No4 in full wood trim to be hellishly heavy once I'd added a mount and scope, and the POI from sticks was nowhere near the POI from my zeroing session. The No5 was much better because that has a floating barrel. Since getting my 303 BSA Mod E though, my military 303s just put holes in paper now.
If you ever get the chance to try the Norma 130grn SP bullet (no longer made) I heartily recommend it.

Ian

Alas poor Yorric,

I was referring only to the Federal 150gn soft point aspect dear boy, not the calibre. ;)

There will be little difference between the two calibres in terms of terminal ballistics.

Last edited:
Back