Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Bullet and Ammunition supply

US Bullet and Ammunition supply

I have just returned from a month in the US and failed to find any 22WMR ammo or (a bit more specific, I agree) any 20TAC 39gr Sierra bullets. Including online supply, gun / hunting stores, several Walmarts (who can be damn cheap when they do have ammo) and "Florida's Largest Gun Show" I failed miserably.

The local gun store said people were hoarding everything they could get hold of and the guy in the local Gander Mountain store said they knew of "several people holding well in excess of 1 million rounds".

The only .22WMR supply I found was on Cheaper than Dirt where opportunists are selling what are normally $14 boxes of 50 for (around) $25 - $30 per box plus shipping which is more expensive than UK supply. One smart ass listed one box of 50 at $5000 - but I don't think it sold! Even Cabelas had racked up their prices a long way since earlier in the year.

Allegedly the supply situation is improving. I hope so because golf is beginning to look attractive!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    I have just returned from a month in the US and failed to find any 22WMR ammo or (a bit more specific, I agree) any 20TAC 39gr Sierra bullets. Including online supply, gun / hunting stores, several Walmarts (who can be damn cheap when they do have ammo) and "Florida's Largest Gun Show" I failed miserably.

The local gun store said people were hoarding everything they could get hold of and the guy in the local Gander Mountain store said they knew of "several people holding well in excess of 1 million rounds".

The only .22WMR supply I found was on Cheaper than Dirt where opportunists are selling what are normally $14 boxes of 50 for (around) $25 - $30 per box plus shipping which is more expensive than UK supply. One smart ass listed one box of 50 at $5000 - but I don't think it sold! Even Cabelas had racked up their prices a long way since earlier in the year.

Allegedly the supply situation is improving. I hope so because golf is beginning to look attractive!
    People aren't hoarding. There is nothing to hoard and hasn't been for over a year. 22WMR has been off the shelves for the longest time. The only reason I still shoot it is because 7 years ago I bought 5 bricks of the stuff on special when it was cheap and plentiful. There is no 22LR to speak of and there won't be for some time. Only 17HMR remains somewhat common.

Components are on the comeback. Bullets and powder supplies are rising but primers are lagging behind.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    .....Only 17HMR remains somewhat common....
    I wonder why? A bit like Rubiks Cube, skateboards, flared trousers and several other fads?

Good to hear about components though. I might have to start a "wish list" for April!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    I wonder why? A bit like Rubiks Cube, skateboards, flared trousers and several other fads?

Good to hear about components though. I might have to start a "wish list" for April!
    I don't know why the HMR. Most likely because DKT industries (Hornady, CCI etc) designed it, marketed it and sold it to the public and to cut off supplies would anger a lot of people. Remember: 17HMR is largely offered by them alone. Winchester only recently took to making their own product.

Coming out in April? Make a list of component wants and PM it to me. I may have a line on those 5mm Sierras.~Muir

Have you tried Norman Clark, last time i was there (3 months ago) he had both.

Ian.

....Coming out in April? Make a list of component wants and PM it to me. I may have a line on those 5mm Sierras.~Muir
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Have you tried Norman Clark, last time i was there (3 months ago) he had both.

Ian.
    Thanks to both of you.

I'll give Norman Clark a call & I'll be in contact Muir as soon as I can confirm the date as it could change.

feller iam looking for a gunshop that might have cases and bullets in orlando 6xc or 6x47 brass and bullets .30 and any other in 6mm for target and hunting vld's

People aren't hoarding. There is nothing to hoard and hasn't been for over a year. 22WMR has been off the shelves for the longest time. The only reason I still shoot it is because 7 years ago I bought 5 bricks of the stuff on special when it was cheap and plentiful. There is no 22LR to speak of and there won't be for some time. Only 17HMR remains somewhat common.

Components are on the comeback. Bullets and powder supplies are rising but primers are lagging behind.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    feller iam looking for a gunshop that might have cases and bullets in orlando 6xc or 6x47 brass and bullets .30 and any other in 6mm for target and hunting vld's
    Thirty cal are just starting to climb back onto the shelves: SST's, Game Kings, A-MAX. etc. Six MM's have always been around. Can you be specific?~Muir

thanks for reply mty 6mm 6xc dtac 115 grs or bergers 115gr . and In .308 nosler 125 green tip and Sierra - pro-hunters 150 gr tubs 6XC or 6x47 lapua brass

I have been able to get a few boxes of 30cal 168gr hybrid bergers from Dauntsey Guns, plus they got me 2 boxes of the 105gr VLD bergers for my 6x47 lapua (they said that they would be last for a while!). These have been a devil to get of late but appear to making a re-appearance. Give they a go as they may be able to source some for you.

I am guessing you are looking for 6.5x47 lapua brass to neck down? I have never found/bought 6x47 lapua brass for sale. Bushwear has 6.5x47 lapua cases in stock.

Al