Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Year in the Hebrides

New Year in the Hebrides

As some will know I often try to head to the Hebrides for some hind stalking over the New Year period but this year I've had a lot of colds and flus and am very unfit, plus I've now managed to blow out a knee that I broke many years back. So, there was no stalking for me which was a pity.

Despite this I thought that some folks might like to see the photos I took while out and about - to get me back on my feet I did a few short walks and the area is just so spectacular that it is impossible not to take advantage of the chance to snap a few photos. Of late I've been doing some processing with my photos in order to attempt to capture the full dynamic range of the scene, much like your eye and brain would process things to enable you to see into both the shadows and highlights. Over time this processing has got a little out of hand and so the photos have become somewhat mad. Some might like them, some will hate them and, of course, not all are processed. Either way I hope that you will enjoy them especially those people with an interest in the Hebrides or who head there for stalking or fishing. Hopefully later in the year there will be some stalking and fishing reports:

If you are interested in a holiday in the area then check out the details in my sig line at the bottom of the post, I will post an advert elsewhere but just wanted to stick the photos in there :-)

Working at sheep under a late December sunset, the strange white line in the sky is a con trail from an aircraft passing overhead:

This sheep popped up on the skyline to see what we were up to:

The sun setting behind the hills of Uig - these hills can provide some truly spectacular stalking for red deer and it is well worth the trip to Lewis just to get up there:

Kinda the same thing as the one above, but I like it:

The view from the top of Beinn na Cloich - there are trout in them there lochs :-)

Some unprocessed photos of the sunset:

Most of the visitors who come to stay in Dollag's Cottage want to see the standing stones at Callanish and they are certainly well worth a visit. I dropped down there for some soup in the visitors centre and a quick run up to the stones to snap some photos:

This photo was taken on New Year's Day while out for a wee walk and chasing sheep. This is the view from the office :-) The ruined building is an old shieling which is where the local crofters would have summered their stock. The old shielings are ideal spots to shelter and make tea when walking or fishing on the moorland:

Sunset along the road at Barvas on the way back from some lunch at Borve hotel. I know Lewis might not look like the ideal location for a winter holiday but being honest why could anyone possibly want to go anywhere else?

For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Nice pictures, A place I'd love to visit and one day definitely will, just a shame it's such a long drive from yorkshire to Scotland to get the crossing over which doesn't bother me but with the wife & kids in it would make for a long journey.
    bairn79

Wow, very impressive, thanks for sharing!
    Have to go there sooner or later....
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by bairn79 View Post
    Nice pictures, A place I'd love to visit and one day definitely will, just a shame it's such a long drive from yorkshire to Scotland to get the crossing over which doesn't bother me but with the wife & kids in it would make for a long journey.
    Same here, but at least I have an excuse.
    Your already halfway there

Neil.

My brother lives on North Uist so I have no excuse not to go and visit even though I live in Somerset. Fantastic photos which show what a stunning place it is. regards sbm
    Last edited by seibassman7; 12-01-2014 at 15:31.

Happy New Year Caorach

Some nice pics there but as we both know they still don't do the island justice. No surprise that I let my passport lapse over twenty years ago. Why go anywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by vitalspark View Post
    Happy New Year Caorach

Some nice pics there but as we both know they still don't do the island justice. No surprise that I let my passport lapse over twenty years ago. Why go anywhere else
    Happy New Year!!

I was in with Donnie in the Fisheries Trust and we talked about lochs, poor girlfriend nearly had to kill herself as she didn't think there was so much to be said about a loch when they all look the same to her :-)

I'm with you on the passport thing though - if you fish, shoot or stalk I just can't see why you'd go anywhere else. I need to get the head down and try to get fit enough to fish and, if I'm lucky, stalk on Lewis later in the year. However I think we can see your house in some of the photos, well, nearly anyhow :-)

Those photos are amazing and the views just out if this world. It's nice that you can get out with the camera and I'm sure you will soon be back out with the fishing gear and rifle, wishing you a speedy recovery
    Wingy

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    Those photos are amazing and the views just out if this world. It's nice that you can get out with the camera and I'm sure you will soon be back out with the fishing gear and rifle, wishing you a speedy recovery
    Thank you Wingy, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos as I get a good bit of fun out of taking them and although the knee is painful a few months in the gym will build up the strength and have knee and chest back going full steam ahead. Fishing season here I come...

Very nice photos Caorach.I think I've fished most of those wee lochs. They can sometimes suprise you with the quality of the fish.My favourite time of year is when it never goes completely dark,the snipe are drumming and the golder plovers are calling and you can wander around out there all day without seeing another soul. I've also seen quite a few eagles in the area( I think I read somewhere that the Hebrides has the highest density of golden eagles in Europe). Shawbost is such a beautiful spot and with Stornoway only 20 minutes away it's the ideal holiday base. All the best.