Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steadying the heart

Steadying the heart

Evening all,
    I went out this morning and after a quiet spell in my stalking managed to bag to lovely doe's . With these two my total is three roe since i started last year, the first of the two was at 80 yard's the second at 125 yard's ( I am going somewhere with this ) both shoot stood off the sticks, but i must have taken a good ten minutes to settle my heart to be able to make a clean shoot, I've shoot foxes at 300yard's with out a flutter and many hundreds of rabbit's with out a flinch.
    So my question is how many deer do I need to shoot before I can control that rush?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Dallascorban View Post
    Evening all,
    I went out this morning and after a quiet spell in my stalking managed to bag to lovely doe's . With these two my total is three roe since i started last year, the first of the two was at 80 yard's the second at 125 yard's ( I am going somewhere with this ) both shoot stood off the sticks, but i must have taken a good ten minutes to settle my heart to be able to make a clean shoot, I've shoot foxes at 300yard's with out a flutter and many hundreds of rabbit's with out a flinch.
    So my question is how many deer do I need to shoot before I can control that rush?
    How long is a piece of string could be the answer..??

Its adrenalin and a bloody good one too. I swear I can hear my heart beat at times.
    The day that stops the day I'll pack it in.
    Last edited by weeman; 11-01-2014 at 21:48.

Don't think of them as deer.... Just big rabbits or ugly foxes....

Shot two deer today, both off sticks, I am mid to high 40's now I think and still get the flutters. If it ever completely goes away I will have to re think what I do.

To stop the heart beat you just turn the gun around the other way before pulling the trigger...

I am worse with foxes!!
    heart pumping in my mouth every time I see one with a rifle in my hand!!

The rush may always happen, the thing that should change is the volume.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I am worse with foxes!!
    heart pumping in my mouth every time I see one with a rifle in my hand!!
    Ditto!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I've been shooting deer for well over 20 years now. Most of the time I do not even remember pulling the trigger but there are still those occasions when maybe there is a deer that you have been hunting for a while, that your heart will still race. When it happens, never look down the scope. Look over the top of the scope following the animal, breathe and when your ready look into the eyepiece and don't hesitate when that crosshair hits the spot. If you hesitate on your shot you will start to wobble and then it will just get worse.
    My opinion on buck fever is that it is the fear of missing that causes it. Get over that fear and you will go a long way to beating the wobbles.
    One last thing... If I ever get to a stage where the rush totally disappears then I will give up, hunting without passion is just killing.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Wheesht! View Post
    Ditto!
    +1