Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eyes wide open

Eyes wide open

I've been looking at some of the Scandinavian offering on youtube covering ' how to improve your shooting techniques'. They touch on breathing, prone posture ,loading bipod, trigger control etc .
    But one thing I have noticed in most clips is that most of them shoot with both eyes open. Do many of you do this ? Is this something worth practicing ? What are the advantages / disadvantages if any?

thanks

had to shoot a bunch as part of the hunting license qualification here.... I had never shot pigeons (clay) before and had only used a shotgun for rabbits, occasional squirrel and with slugs for deer. The instructors insisted that we shoot shotgun with both eyes open and it was driving me nuts... Finally got to doing it, but always tried to close one eye..... Didn't notice a big difference on the clays, but just couldn't do it on a rifle with one of them doctor type sights.
    Last edited by daven; 14-01-2014 at 08:57. Reason: spelling

I've always shot pistol and shotgun with both eyes open which is as you're supposed to but I have never been able to do so with a rifle other than with a target rifle and aperture sights. I was fortunate in shooting off the right shoulder and having a very dominent right eye but that has changed slightly with time. Unfortunately having such a dominent right eye made it difficult for me to use the original British made red dot type sights.
    Last edited by 8x57; 12-01-2014 at 07:38.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by huntsman View Post
    I've been looking at some of the Scandinavian offering on youtube covering ' how to improve your shooting techniques'. They touch on breathing, prone posture ,loading bipod, trigger control etc .
    But one thing I have noticed in most clips is that most of them shoot with both eyes open. Do many of you do this ? Is this something worth practicing ? What are the advantages / disadvantages if any?

thanks
    Always both eyes open but its a throw back from small bore target shooting where closing your eye meant straining, straining meant missing. But 2 years ago as a result of this I developed exophoria (a lazy wandering eye type thing) but I think this is rare and it didn't take long to get rid off.

Both eyes open for pistol and shotgun plus rifle with iron sights.
    Quite difficult for me to do with optics so I take the easier option and go with one eye
    Oh, and I'm right handed/right eye dominant

both eyes open, very handy on rifle as can see bubble level so avoid cant.

D

Shotgun both eyes open and can do either with the rifle as I have a very dominant left eye (shoot left handed). My left eye is madly in love with my right eye,,,,,,,,and keeps looking at it .

Both eyes open for me, I used to close the non-scope eye, but have changed when I started lamping, etc. I find the peripheral view it gives me is a real bonus for vermin control, but that could be just me!
    Work them hard, treat them like heros.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman View Post

thanks
    I was taught to shoot both-eyes-open when I was about 7. I've done it that way ever since with, shot-gun, open sights or optics. Some people think it's weird but it becomes quite easy to concentrate on your master eye and retain peripheral vision in the other one... only has advantages as far I can tell.

Ive got a very dominant left eye but am right handed to always close my left eye when shooting.