Thread: RSPB idiot puts his foot right in it

Thumbs down RSPB idiot puts his foot right in it

The company I work for, which shall remain nameless here, has an agreement with various charities that they can send representatives on nominated days to publicise/ask for sign ups from our customers.
    Today's was a bloke from the RSPB. We got chatting about where he'd been fundraising this week, what types of people tend to be interested, etc.
    Then he made the mistake of telling me that his least favourite pitch was farmers markets because there are too many farmers and hunter types. "lots of them don't like us, they don't like conservation. But that's fine, let's face it most farmers and hunters aren't all that smart anyway".
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to engage him in debate, as unlike him I prefer to remain professional at work. Alarmingly stupid of him to spout such a view to a member of his paying public though. I'll fire off an email tomorrow complaining about his conduct and informing them that they won't be welcome back.

A bigoted statement that I fear is becoming more typical from charities such as the RSPB. Maybe they should look into how people running shoots actually benefit the conservation of wild birds, rather than the misconception that they just destroy everything.

i think that your response is probably the best way to go. It would be interesting to see how they respond.

Quote Originally Posted by si_b1979 View Post
    A bigoted statement that I fear is becoming more typical from charities such as the RSPB. Maybe they should look into how people running shoots actually benefit the conservation of wild birds, rather than the misconception that they just destroy everything.

i think that your response is probably the best way to go. It would be interesting to see how they respond.
    Don't worry, the RSPB know full well how much benefit we bring to conservation. They just choose to ignore it as it suits their ends better if we're seen as destructive morons or chinless toffs.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    Don't worry, the RSPB know full well how much benefit we bring to conservation. They just choose to ignore it as it suits their ends better if we're seen as destructive morons or chinless toffs.
    +1 never a truer word spoken!
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Theyre not all the same..

One of my local RSPB signed off one of my level 2. Shot loads of deer for free with him and he never charged a penny for signing my level 2 off...
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Terry I thought you had sorted your level2years ago
    Atb tom

You are right Tom i did...

However my friendship and stalking with the gentleman remains..
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

I suspect that the majority of normal RSPB members still have the protection of birds as a whole at heart and by nature are conservative (with a small "c") in their views concerning management of wildlife. They'll think of the RSPCA as a charity that promotes bird habitat for all types of birds and is not really political. But as with many organisations, the loud minority with the more radical views make the most noise.

It loses them friends and will be no good for them in the long run.