sauer outback trigger

geoffrey

Morning all, i have just purchased a used Sauer 202 outback in 308 with the built in weaver mounts, the rifle is immaculate but i have noticed that the trigger is not single selective, it breaks nicely at about 2.5 lbs which suits me fine, does anybody know if this model was made with a standard trigger or has it been altered.
cheers Geoff

Last edited:
I thought that all 202s had the single set trigger as standard, I could be wrong. The set trigger is just pushed foward not a double set trigger. Not being sarkie just stating the obvious.
Paul

Hi Geoffrey my dad has a 270 and i have a 30/06 in 202 sauer they both have single set triggers as standard. Hope this helps
Nigdonn.

Both my Sauer rifles have single/set triggers. They break at around 2lb as a single stage trigger or alot less if set. (done by pushing the trigger blade forward after cocking the bolt). However you can adjust the trigger to remove the Set trigger if required. If you don't have a manual I can copy the trigger section of mine and email if of help. Well done on the purchase, I hope you like it as much as I do. One last thing with the outback it has a aluminium action to keep weight down. Be carefull how tight you do the bolts up which secure the stock and fore end. It has been known for people to strip the threads as the allen key supplied allows for alot of leverage to be applied. They only need to be nipped up. Happy shooting.

Last edited:
thanks for all your replies, i have a sauer 202 in 270 with a single set trigger so i am used to setting it but in fact the only time i use it is on the range working up loads, the trigger on the outback has no forward movement, just got back from scoping it in, really accurate with sako hammerheads 150gn
could not improve it by reloading,
regards geoff

Geoff, I have a 202 I bt second hand with no set trigger. Had it in to garlands for overhaul and they knew about the nonset trigger....these were forestry commission spec triggers, so likely your rifle was originally used by the fc rangers
cheers tony

Send me your Email address and I'll send you a PDF with full operating instructions.
Mike. An excerpt of which is below.

5.9 Trigger
Note:
• Three trigger variants are available for the
SAUER 202: A rifle trigger, a rifle trigger
with rear set trigger, and a pressure point
match trigger.
5.9.1 Rifle trigger
Note:
• The trigger weight has been set to
approx. 15 N (1,500 g) at factory.
The rifle trigger is a direct trigger without creep.
– The shot is fired after the resistance has been
overcome.
5.9.2 Rifle trigger with rear set trigger
Note:
• The trigger weight of the rifle trigger has
been set to approx. 13 N (1,300 g) at factory.
The rifle trigger with rear set trigger is a direct
trigger without creep, which allows for a reduced
trigger resistance by way of setting. The trigger
resistance of the rear set trigger can be set
individually (see page 21).
– The shot is fired after the resistance has been
overcome.
Priming
CAUTION!
Rifle may be damaged
• The trigger can be changed, but this must
only be carried out by a gunsmith.
WARNING!
Careless actions may cause uncontrolled
discharge of shot
May lead to death or severe injuries
• For safety reasons the rifle trigger weight
must only be modified by the manufacturer.
WARNING!
Careless actions may cause uncontrolled
discharge of shot
May lead to death or severe injuries
• For safety reasons the rifle trigger weight
must only be modified by the manufacturer.
• The set trigger can be triggered already by
the slightest vibration. Therefore the trigger
must not be set until immediately before firing
the shot. Aim the rifle at a stop-butt. If the
intended shot cannot be fired, immediately
lock and reset the rifle.

Last edited:
The Sauer Outback comes with a set trigger as standard, though it could be ordered with a non set or direct trigger. I know that the forestry had to have non set triggers fitted. The intergrated bases were stopped on the alloy actions around 2007.

I have the outback and the trigger is set by holding the trigger forward as you push the bolt home.

hope this helps

regards Tristram

Back