Thread: 308 - heavier head - any suggestions.

308 - heavier head - any suggestions.

Hi all, I've been using Nosler 150gn BT's for some time now and have fine tuned the OAL and powder (Vhit 140) to shoot spot on from my Sauer. I shoot 120grn Nosler BTs from my 6.5mm so fancy something a bit closer to 200grn for the 308. I've always used BTs but should I be trying soft nose partitions? I do prefer Vhit as a powder, and tend to stick with Hornady or Nosler heads.
    Any suggestions?

What are you planning to shoot at?

Sharkey

I've killed a lot of deer with bullets in the 190 grn- 200 grain range. I like soft points and don't bother with boat tails. Speer once made a 200 grain flat base SP that was a seriously accurate and deadly bullet from a 308 with a 1-10" twist.~Muir

Stecad. I wouldn't mind your recipe for the 150gn BT inc the OAL. I'll be picking some up myself for sauer 202 next week. I'd give the 180gn SST or 180 Nosler BT a try if it's extra knock down power you want. I currently using 150gn in my 308 and don't notice much difference between that and the 140gn in 6.5x55. So may give some 180's a go myself on the sika. Only thing to say ow really is there are so many bullets to try you can get wrapped up in the job. If what you are using now is putting meat on the ground I wouldn't change much. If your getting runners, or bad meat damage, or poor exit channels well that's different.

I have used the 180g Speer BTSP a bit in my 308 and it was very accurate and killed Roe well with no fuss. I have also dabbled with 180g RN which were effective but not as accurate in my rifle

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Stecad. I wouldn't mind your recipe for the 150gn BT inc the OAL. I'll be picking some up myself for sauer 202 next week. I'd give the 180gn SST or 180 Nosler BT a try if it's extra knock down power you want. I currently using 150gn in my 308 and don't notice much difference between that and the 140gn in 6.5x55. So may give some 180's a go myself on the sika. Only thing to say ow really is there are so many bullets to try you can get wrapped up in the job. If what you are using now is putting meat on the ground I wouldn't change much. If your getting runners, or bad meat damage, or poor exit channels well that's different.
    Hi wood master, the load is 41.9 grn N140 with an OAL of 2.276 inch. The max for my Sauer with the 150grn BT Nosler head is 2.354 inch.

The real reason is just to have a good range of bullet weights. I use 87 grn vmax in my 243 and 120grn Nosler BT in the 6.5, just wanted to try something a bit heavier in the 308. Last red stag I shot with the 308 ran 100yds even though it's shoulder and heart were completely shot out. The range was 170 yrds and the head passed straight through the beast. First time I've had this happen.

Thanks. Well under the max so I'll work something up. I don't think it's too unusual for a deer to run, even 100yds with no heart and on 3 legs. They are amazingly resilient. Bet there are plenty guys on here who could recount similar. 170 yds is a fair range, but encouraging to know you still got a good exit. As you say it's the first time it's happened to you and that probably surprised you a little. If you get out and shoot enough deer, even with heavier bullets you will still get the odd runner. However having confidence in your kit is important, so no harm in trying out a few things.