Thread: PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE FOR SELLING VENISON TO THE PUBLIC

PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE FOR SELLING VENISON TO THE PUBLIC

Hi All,
    Another question!
    Does anyone do the above and know any good deals with PL insurance?
    A market traders association do a fairly good policy but it doesn't cover you for selling outside of the market trader environment.
    I will be starting up my business in 2010 (taking redendancy package from my job) so just planning ahead to generate some additional income.
    Many thanks
    Richard

In case someone chokes on a bullet fragment?

This subject really gets me angry, I mean what sort of a person would try to make an insurance claim... Do people sue the local Indian takeaway the morning after a dodgy curry?
    If you buy some meat from Tesco and it doesn't smell right you just take it back for a refund.
    I'd speak to your local butcher... see who he's insured with.

Insurance this!!! Insurance that!!!

Good luck with the new venture BTW.

Try the NFU. I would imagine they insure alot of farm shops.

Grant

Thanks for the advice, i had thought about NFU, but you need to have your buildings/contents insured through them, trouble is i recently renewed those through another company, i will contact them later in the year.
    Unfortunately you can't do these things without insurance these days, just the sad world we live in 'no win no fee' comes to mind.
    Cheers
    Richard

Si,

Salmonella and E.Coli kill. If they are on the meat you "sell" then you are liable.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by smullery
    Si,

Salmonella and E.Coli kill. If they are on the meat you "sell" then you are liable.

Stan
    Exactly, didn't a butcher supply some meat to school children with devastating effects?

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker
    Quote Originally Posted by smullery
    Si,

Stan
    Exactly, didn't a butcher supply some meat to school children with devastating effects?
    That said the selling of venison is a low risk food item, unless you are cooking it. The venison will be cooked by the customer therefore reducing some of the risk.
    Try basc etc for a trade policy, but one thing to remember is if there should be a problem or claim all the paperwork for the food business needs to be up to date i.e. haccp plans etc