Thread: What is wrong with my dog?

Thumbs up What is wrong with my dog?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	270.7 KB 
ID:	36716Click image for larger version. 

Views:	76 
Size:	346.0 KB 
ID:	36717Click image for larger version. 

Views:	63 
Size:	349.3 KB 
ID:	36718Click image for larger version. 

Views:	63 
Size:	335.3 KB 
ID:	36719
    He is a rough haired patadale and loosing hair and has been for a while the vet says it's hormonal problems and been giving him medication and has been a while. it's now starting on the other side too I've got some pictures here ,all the help much appreciated...

I am not a vet, but I wondered if you had changed his feed? and does he scratch a lot or is the hair falling out on its own?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    I am not a vet, but I wondered if you had changed his feed? and does he scratch a lot or is the hair falling out on its own?
    +1

I'd be wanting to test the thyroid. If that not low then some biopsies to see what is going on.

Does the dog itch?

If you scratch the bald areas does the dog react?

Anything else changes: eating/drinking; exercise tolerance; weight; etc.

What are you using for parasite treatment, and when did you last apply it?

Have any bloods and test been done?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Hes stuck with same food and doesn't itch no blood test Been done

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Did the vet do a skin scrape to see if its mange
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I would guess at mange although that is a guess as im not a vet and im only going by the picture, in the past two of my dogs have suffered the same thing, one was worse than the other, they both lost hair like yours but along the top of their back, Mention mange to your vet and ask him about Stronghold parasite treatment.

Doesn't look like mange to me. Fox mange (sarcoptic) is very itchy. Demodicosis slightly possible, but that usually goes along with a suppressed immune system and isn't treated for by Stronghold.

I'd be getting the thyroid hormone levels checked. That's where my money lies.

What treatment have you been given for this 'hormonal' problem?

There is a weird problem called seasonal flank alopecia that I have seen a couple of times.

Really some investigation is needed here. Scrapes, hair pluck and bloods to start. If nothing showing up then biopsies invaluable.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Sorry, I can't answer that on just photos, I'd be going with Apache's suggestions.

ALthough - if you run your fingers through the coat against the hair, is is smooth or does it feel stubbly. If the latter then the hair is being nibbled by your dog, in which case, make sure fleas are not a problem - treat dog and house. If smooth, then other possibilities exist and I run some tests. GIven the proximity to the fire, it's not singed is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    Sorry, I can't answer that on just photos, I'd be going with Apache's suggestions.

ALthough - if you run your fingers through the coat against the hair, is is smooth or does it feel stubbly. If the latter then the hair is being nibbled by your dog, in which case, make sure fleas are not a problem - treat dog and house. If smooth, then other possibilities exist and I run some tests. GIven the proximity to the fire, it's not singed is it?
    Ha ha he likes keeping warm then to get up for a drink then back to the fire he doesn't have a fire at home though I was away I'm on to it know and let you all know how I get on thanks allot