Stalking back packs?.......

Adam204

I have been thinking about stepping into the world of deer stalking for a couple of years now. As it happens my christmas present from my girlfriend is a week's ho;iday away in scotland with a days hind stalking with a company offering paid stalking. (Yes she is a keeper :D!!) I have also signed up for DSC1 in a few weeks. The stalking day requires a day pack of appropriate size to carry packed lunch and spare clothing for the day. What I am asking is can anyone recommend a good starter back pack or similar, big enough for what I need to carry? Sorry if this is threaded elsewhere but I couldn't find anything specific.
Thanks,
A

I use my roe sack, expands as you put stuff in
ideal for a lunch, spare sweater,
waterproof, rope,knife etc
use it as a rifle rest,
big enough for a roe deer later on

roesack.png

Food and a change of clothing suggests more than a fanny pack especially if you factor in the addition of the all-important camera and spare ammo etc.

Therefore any narrow 35ltr rucksack of subdued colour with not too much clutter or width in the shoulder straps will do just fine.

K

any of the 30-35l daysacs will do you , berghaus do a great little pack that you can expand with zip on side pockets

I use a little Blackhawk daysac , I like molle compatability so you can add pockets for more storage if you need it (and a rifle rest for shooting off your pack and an admin pouch for your rifle data and a bullet pouch that's accessible from the firing position) but then I like a place for everything and everything in it's place (mild ocd according to my missus!)

the main point is don't go too big or you will fill it and then have to carry it !

I'm not a fan of roe sacs for the hill because I find them just too big and they made my back sweat even more than normal , modern packs are better on your back now.

you will be surprised how little pro stalkers take to the hill , most off it stays in the 4x4/argo ?

good luck and enjoy , hind stalking is the king of stalking although sika can be effing good sport !

I like this when there's any amount a of ground to cover on foot. Everything goes in nicely -including the rifle-, leaving your hands free.

Tackb is absolutely right though to say that experience teaches you what you really need to carry... and what you don't.

I got given one of these as a present last year. Really good, but with one major drawback; it does require the built in 'rain cover' if it is hammering it down, which is the of course bright orange! I tend to stick one of these in for roe extraction.
Al

Booger! "Out of Stock"K

Oops! Often the way with Alpkit as they're only a small outfit.

If you sign up to the mailing list they'll email you a date and time when they'll be back in stock. There's usually a mad rush to buy, and often items sell out within a couple of hours - you have to be quick. Clever way to manufacture/sell really....

Back