Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: black rhino hunting permit for $375K

black rhino hunting permit for $375K

Some people have money to burn?

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/10/us...html?hpt=hp_c5

Dallas, Texas (CNN) -- The Dallas Safari Club auctioned off a black rhino hunting permit in Namibia for $350,000, according to the club's public relations firm.

Wealthy hunters gathered Saturday evening inside the Dallas Convention Center to bid on the rare chance to hunt one of the world's most endangered animals.

The Safari Club says the auction was done in the name of conservation, to save the threatened black rhinoceros. All proceeds will be donated to the Namibian government and will be earmarked for conservation efforts, club officials say.

Animal conservationists estimate there are only about 5,000 black rhinos in the world, 1,700 of which are in the southern Africa nation. They are considered a "critically endangered species" by wildlife organizations around the world.

This is the best way to have the biggest impact on increasing the black rhino population," said Ben Carter, executive director of the Dallas Safari Club.

Sacrificing one animal for the greater good of the endangered species is a move that critics and animal conservation groups call "perverse" and a "sad joke."

"They need to be protected, not sold to the highest bidder," said Jeffrey Flocken of the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW). "It also sends a dangerous message that these iconic and disappearing animals are worth more as dead trophies to be mounted and hung on a wall in a Texas mansion than living in the wild in Africa."

click link above....

I have no issues with people that go big game hunting and truth known I would love an opportunity to do so myself.

However, I cannot get my head around this auction to shoot an endangered animal, it leaves me numb and surely opens great debate for the anti's.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb1956 View Post
    I have no issues with people that go big game hunting and truth known I would love an opportunity to do so myself.

However, I cannot get my head around this auction to shoot an endangered animal, it leaves me numb and surely opens great debate for the anti's.
    It needs culled for one reason or another anyway.... That 350k bucks will go a long way toward helping the rest of the herd... My only issue is calling it "hunting" and getting a "trophy"... If bubba has more money than he has sense, so be it........

I agree totally daven that is my point really it's sickening.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Some people have money to burn?

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/10/us...html?hpt=hp_c5

Dallas, Texas (CNN) -- The Dallas Safari Club auctioned off a black rhino hunting permit in Namibia for $350,000, according to the club's public relations firm.

Wealthy hunters gathered Saturday evening inside the Dallas Convention Center to bid on the rare chance to hunt one of the world's most endangered animals.

The Safari Club says the auction was done in the name of conservation, to save the threatened black rhinoceros. All proceeds will be donated to the Namibian government and will be earmarked for conservation efforts, club officials say.

Animal conservationists estimate there are only about 5,000 black rhinos in the world, 1,700 of which are in the southern Africa nation. They are considered a "critically endangered species" by wildlife organizations around the world.

This is the best way to have the biggest impact on increasing the black rhino population," said Ben Carter, executive director of the Dallas Safari Club.

Sacrificing one animal for the greater good of the endangered species is a move that critics and animal conservation groups call "perverse" and a "sad joke."

"They need to be protected, not sold to the highest bidder," said Jeffrey Flocken of the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW). "It also sends a dangerous message that these iconic and disappearing animals are worth more as dead trophies to be mounted and hung on a wall in a Texas mansion than living in the wild in Africa."

click link above....
    " The Dallas Safari Club auctioned off a black rhino hunting permit in Namibia for $350,000, according to the club's public relations firm."

Wow! .... generous or what?... and... 1 lucky rhino gets to end its days without the long drawn out suffering of disease, infirmity, predation or starvation. as would have been its usual options. Good effort Texas.

I heard this on the radio this morning and apparently the permit is only to cull a very old and aggressive rino that obviously needs removing. To make $350,000 in the process sounds like good business to me. Nothing perverse about it that's for sure.
    Baguio

I had seen another report on this that said it was a male that was no longer breeding and had been highlighted for culling due to his aggression.

I heard that the Met Police had put in a bid but it was withdrawn when they realised they had already hit their quota....

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    I heard this on the radio this morning and apparently the permit is only to cull a very old and aggressive rino that obviously needs removing. To make $350,000 in the process sounds like good business to me. Nothing perverse about it that's for sure.
    Baguio
    +1 I imagine that amount of money can pay for a lot of poaching patrols over there so makes a lot of sense
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Just saw this on the BBC News site and thought pretty much what has been said above. Rhino, like deer, need to be culled from time to time so that population will be better off in the long term. With an endangered species like Rhino it will happen a lot less but it still needs to be done & would probably happen anyway if it has become a problem animal, as sounds the case here. They may as well get 1/3 Mill for it, which will pay for a lot of anti poacher patrols to safeguard the rest of the herds and help to safeguard their future. Sadly it is all too predictable how some of the anti-hunting groups have reacted to this by saying it is 'A sad joke', without understanding the realities of managing a group of animals in an enclosed area (however big) will mean that the odd problem animal will have to be 'attended to' periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    +1 I imagine that amount of money can pay for a lot of poaching patrols over there so makes a lot of sense

Could it just be the gentleman bidding for it is more than aware of what can be achieved by his generous donation and his over riding concern is infact supporting those that are left....
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...