Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warm jacket - recommendations?

Warm jacket - recommendations?

After something warm and reasonably waterproof for sitting up high seats now the weather has turned a bit nippy - any recommendations? I've got a deerhunter ram which is fine with a fleece and a few layers normally, but you start to feel the cold when sitting in a seat for a couple of hours when the temp drops!

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Can't go wrong with one of these under a jacket-

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/s...le-377649.html

TJ

I've just bought a Harkila Kodiak jacket - they're going (gone?) out of production and available here for about 100 cheaper than anywhere else. http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/produc...FSBk4wodCD8nqA

Best winter jacket I've owned - bar none.

If you want a really cheap but effective solution have a dekko at this thread http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...pic.php?t=8486

having just spent a couple of days in the cold and wet (and staying warm and dry!!) I can thoroughly the Harkila Prohunter... the Kodiak above was my second choice and I have no doubts it will perform as well as mine does. Well worth the extra cash imo.

I've got a camo Sportcheif jacket. Very comfortable, totally waterproof, windproof. Was bought for a trip upto Uist goose shooting a few years ago and now where it for nearly all my winter stalking.
    Cost was approx. 325 from Garlands. In about 10 years when this one gives up the goat I'll certainly buy another one.

Deer Hunter Montana 5in1!

Great Value
    Extremley Warm
    Multi Purpose
    Waterproof

I ware it for lamping and stalking.

Regards

I have a black down jacket by www.alpkit.com - very lightweight and very warm and wear it under my Musto Stalking jacket and warm as toast. It is actually too warm to wear if you are walking etc, but very light and stuffs down inot its own pocket.

Very impressed as well with the Musto Stalking Jacket and have worn it in really foul weather both on the hill and wildfowling.

The other key to warmth is having some really good silk, or merino wool undergarments - ie leggings and vest. They wick away any sweat so keeping you warm and dry.

buffalo jacket dont put eney thing under it they are used by climmers and walkers walked about in it for a few winters heavey snow rain gets warmer when wet and costs under 100pound put it under your normal gear and you wont be cold all the best rob

Don't know why I didn't think of the down jacket option - I've got an old Rab one lying around in the loft - just the ticket for under the normal camo jacket (which is actually a deerhunter montana I think - green zip in fleece but not much else in the way of insulation - I was roasting when stalking last night and temp was about 0 degrees, but sitting still in a high seat for a couple of hours is a whole different ball game!!)

Cheers for all the thoughts and recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by wraith
    buffalo jacket dont put eney thing under it they are used by climmers and walkers walked about in it for a few winters heavey snow rain gets warmer when wet and costs under 100pound put it under your normal gear and you wont be cold all the best rob
    +1
    I adore my buffalo, it must be 14 years old and its still the first bit of kit I take onto the hills. Did a two week winter exercise in the french alps a few (quite a few) years back. Tabbing and a lot of lying down covered in snow. All I wore was a wicking tshirt, buffalo and a windproof smock....well on my upper body.... was never cold... legs did get a bit chilly