Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swaro 1-6 x 24 IR for stalking (woodlands/open)

Swaro 1-6 x 24 IR for stalking (woodlands/open)

I am looking at getting at scope for stalking and was recommended this by a friend. He said for woodland and even open stalking up to 250 yard this would be a good optic to have. As when it is on one power it can be used as an aimpoint aswell.

Looking for opinions

PS I was thinking of a Duralyte 1.5 - 5 x 46 IR

Cheers JP

Light, small and you can mount it very low on the rifle. When wound up to a full 6 power you might loose five minutes of shooting light compared to a bigger scope, but other than that can't see much not to like. I have an old 1-4 x20 nickel Marburg that I need to get around to mounting and will be just the job for woodland / farmland stalking.

Well, I have young eyes, but I like my target to be big. 100 yards I'd usually use 8X. 200 yards 12X.

Not saying it wouldn't work for you, but far from my choice.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Well, I have young eyes, but I like my target to be big. 100 yards I'd usually use 8X. 200 yards 12X.

Not saying it wouldn't work for you, but far from my choice.
    i am am the opposite. I have good eyes but not getting any younger. Have a 4-12x50 Swarovski on one of my rifles. In the field it stays at 6 power. I like a big field of view and you can observe on around the target as well keep it in view after the shot. I also find you get a lot of Shake with higher magnifications that is off putting. Neither Apache nor myself are right or wrong -we are just different. In the past I used a 4x32 Zeiss and would happily take deer out to 150 if not further with it. But at the same friends I was stalking with had 20x scopes on their rifles and they never seem to have a problem either.

may not look the fanciest.. But you'll prolly be happy with it. Just bought a rifle with a 1.1-4x20 Kahles and took it out the first time Saturday afternoon. Sat on the stand until 30 minutes after sunset... Was able to see plenty good enough in twilight. Not perfect, but OK..... The low mag, smaller size, and less weight is worth that 5 or so minutes at the beginning or end of the day... For me anyway....

Cheers lads, Ya one of the main reasons I was looking at this was to keep the scope nice and low to the barrell, Thats really good to know that I would be only loosing about 5 mins. I to am like Heym SR20 as I like to see more and track after the shot. But like Apache when shooting vermin at long range like to have a close look at the target.

Daven Have you used the low power scopes on Boar?

JP

I love my Schmidt and Bender 8x56; lots of light till very last thing, perfectly adequate for long shots (200yards though not often that far), superb for my small fields up here with deer often 50yards or even 20 yards. I guess you get used to what you have, so whatever choice yo make now will be 'it'. When I go back to the 6x42 on my drilling I find the animals a long way away but still more than capable of a 200yard shot, just seems to take longer to take that shot compared to with the 8x56. Other difference above is 42 and 56 objective, 56 gives me earlier and later light in a day, 42 slightly less so. Marginal though!

I know people will swear by them, but I see no point in the zoom scopes apart from clearing out more of your hard earned from your bank account! Whoever I have spoken to say they more often than not stay on one setting and never get changed. I picked up a zoom scope for my .22lr and have never changed the setting.

Everyones opinion is different and you won't know till you get it in the field!

Quote Originally Posted by jpbacs12 View Post
    Cheers lads, Ya one of the main reasons I was looking at this was to keep the scope nice and low to the barrell, Thats really good to know that I would be only loosing about 5 mins. I to am like Heym SR20 as I like to see more and track after the shot. But like Apache when shooting vermin at long range like to have a close look at the target.

Daven Have you used the low power scopes on Boar?

JP
    Not yet, but that's why I bought it.... The 6x just don't do it for me at close ranges. Have a drive hunt on the 25th, maybe I can give you some good feedback then.... But, playing with and comparing the rifle/scope combos (mauser 98 w/ 6x42 and Browning BLR with the lowmag), I think it will be just the ticket....

I have used the 1-4x20 on my 22rf with very good results on rabbits. There is a very big difference between 1x and 4x. This scope is going to be mounted in low rings on my combination gun, but it has a claw mount so need to get / make claws to fit. I know how I am going to do it, just a question of time and some spare funds. Currently has a Zeiss 6x42 with claws mounted on a rail so it's quite high and needs a lace on leather cheek piece to make it usable. Once you get higher magnification, magnification is not the most, it's the image quality that's critical. I have looked through a number of straight tubed Zeiss and Swarovski - mostly at auctions and always amazed at how bright the images are compared to much larger lenses.

I have aver a pair of Zeiss 7x42 bins as well as a pair of Swarovski 8x20. It is a dark overcast day here in Edinburgh. Just looking out of my office window at some Waxwings and I can't honestly see much difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    Not yet, but that's why I bought it.... The 6x just don't do it for me at close ranges. Have a drive hunt on the 25th, maybe I can give you some good feedback then.... But, playing with and comparing the rifle/scope combos (mauser 98 w/ 6x42 and Browning BLR with the lowmag), I think it will be just the ticket....
    awesome that would be great, as Thats another reason I wanted low power on the 270 so I can try boar.