Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom rifle.....what calibre should I choose???

Custom rifle.....what calibre should I choose???

Hi,

I currently have a Remington 700 in 243WIN. It was a VLS (Varmint Laminated Stock) but is now wearing a HS Precision stock.

I want to get the whole job done, IE re-barrelled, new stock, bedding, action truing and detachable magazine system fitted.

The current rifle is superbly accurate and the barrel is in OK condition. Only reason I want this done is so I have something I can carry all day, in my opinion the varmint barrel is too heavy for my application.

I currently have a Weaver rail fitted to this rifle and would more than likely want a rail on the new setup as I use Leupold quick release rings and intend to do so after the build is finished.

I want this new setup to be the lightest weight as is humanly possible. This will mainly be used for stalking and some foxing, but in the main stalking. My Scottish stalking is partially open hill and I could walk miles in a day over some very rough ground. So lightweight is key.

I bought a Manners stock for my Tikka T3 which is great lightweight stock and I may consider another one of those for the Remington. I also know the McMillan Ultra Light is a good lightweight option. I would also like whatever stock I choose to buy to be bedded.

Like I have said a few times I want a Ultra Lightweight setup. I would also like a stainless barrel but with a matt/satin finish, I may also choose to get it cerakoted, but if I do I will get this done at a later date. I will also want it screw cut 14x1 so it is the same as my Tikka which is in 270WIN, so if I wish I can share moderators. I will also want the barrel to be as short as is possible without detrimentally effecting the performance.

I would also like a detachable magazine system fitted, I prefer the design of the Third Eye Tactical from looking at some photos on the internet VS the AICS.

I will be mainly using for deer and fox control and some long range targets, up to 1000 yards.

I have reloading equipment, but am yet to press any rounds. So in theory all I will need to do is get the dies etc for a new calibre if necessary

So what the million dollar questions are
    1. What calibre should I choose? Or should I stick with 243WIN?
    2. What lightweight stock should I choose?
    3. What type and make of barrel should I choose?

This will be the first custom rifle I have ever had built and I want it to be something I will keep forever and pass onto my son at some stage.

I welcome everyone's opinions.

Cheers

Account Suspended
    Never mind Klenchblaize (he'll be along shortly, I'm sure) Go for a .250 Humdinger.

1, 243 is fine but if you reload 260 rem is impressive or 7-08 ? they all work well when placed well
    2, without doubt the PSE composites stock , you will be amazed!
    3, any of the big name makes will work fine and just get the lightest contour your happy with and any of the above calibres will work with a 20-22" barrel
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

I would suggest 6.5x47, 7-08 or 260. I had a remington 260 and had problems seating the bullets out far enough because the length of the magazine. There are ways to over come this but it is more work expense and limits options

Sell it and buy a T-3 Lite.
    If that's too heavy, hit the gym.~Muir

Hi there

I went through the same sort of issue as well before I decided.

Whilst there are a raft of details to pin down - which with a good builder can be a joy - there is also a pratical issue about calibre and ammo. You say that you reload but I'm guessing your still in the learning lots phase (aren't we all but you ge my drift) from your comment but, if you're going to progress down that path, then the calibre options open up as you'll be only requiring components.

I went for a 7mm08. At that time factory ammo was really hard to come by - not sure it's easier now either - but I reload and 7mm stuff is easy enough to find. I shoot all UK species and have an annual pilgrimage to WMS in Wales so I know that's it ok out to 900m (at which point I loose any more adjustment on my scope)

It's a B&C medalist stock (bedded)
    18" PacNor supermatch profile 5 barrel (7mm08)
    GBR action

It's not a lightweight hunting rig by any stretch of the imagination but is more the compromise of a number of factors. The result is a rifle I'll always grab for and that is 95% perfect for just about anything I'd want to be trying.

Hope that helps

FN

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side on 7mm08.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	36766

Quote Originally Posted by rem284 View Post
    I would suggest 6.5x47, 7-08 or 260. I had a remington 260 and had problems seating the bullets out far enough because the length of the magazine. There are ways to over come this but it is more work expense and limits options
    my 260 is fine it depends how it's throated ?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Sell it and buy a T-3 Lite.
    If that's too heavy, hit the gym.~Muir
    I already have a T3 Lite in 270, which is my "go to" rifle.

I want to treat myself to a custom rifle that will hopefully last a lifetime!!

Account Suspended
    "Closing Comments

From time to time, wildcatters have built various improved versions of the .25-08 to maximize performance from the short rifle action platform. In 1994 Australian Guns & Game editor Breil Jackson, with the help of gunsmith Peter Kay, developed an improved .25-08 which they named the .250 Humdinger. The case design featured a minimum body taper and a 45 degree shoulder angle. The Humdinger achieved working velocities of 3400fps with an 87 grain bullet and ADI2209 (H4350) powder, 3270fps with a 100 grain bullet and ADI 2213sc (H4831sc) and 3014 with 120 grain bullets again using slow burning ADI2213sc.2

Quote Originally Posted by rem284 View Post
    Doing a small amount of reading on the web, I like the sound of the 6.5x47.

I cannot seem to find it in my Lee Modern Reloading Manual. (2nd edition)? Unless it is under a different name?

However I wonder if this calibre be suited to a lightweight rifle? Most I have seen have been heavy bench rest type rifles?