Custom rifle.....what calibre should I choose???

270Buck

Hi,

I currently have a Remington 700 in 243WIN. It was a VLS (Varmint Laminated Stock) but is now wearing a HS Precision stock.

I want to get the whole job done, IE re-barrelled, new stock, bedding, action truing and detachable magazine system fitted.

The current rifle is superbly accurate and the barrel is in OK condition. Only reason I want this done is so I have something I can carry all day, in my opinion the varmint barrel is too heavy for my application.

I currently have a Weaver rail fitted to this rifle and would more than likely want a rail on the new setup as I use Leupold quick release rings and intend to do so after the build is finished.

I want this new setup to be the lightest weight as is humanly possible. This will mainly be used for stalking and some foxing, but in the main stalking. My Scottish stalking is partially open hill and I could walk miles in a day over some very rough ground. So lightweight is key.

I bought a Manners stock for my Tikka T3 which is great lightweight stock and I may consider another one of those for the Remington. I also know the McMillan Ultra Light is a good lightweight option. I would also like whatever stock I choose to buy to be bedded.

Like I have said a few times I want a Ultra Lightweight setup. I would also like a stainless barrel but with a matt/satin finish, I may also choose to get it cerakoted, but if I do I will get this done at a later date. I will also want it screw cut 14x1 so it is the same as my Tikka which is in 270WIN, so if I wish I can share moderators. I will also want the barrel to be as short as is possible without detrimentally effecting the performance.

I would also like a detachable magazine system fitted, I prefer the design of the Third Eye Tactical from looking at some photos on the internet VS the AICS.

I will be mainly using for deer and fox control and some long range targets, up to 1000 yards.

I have reloading equipment, but am yet to press any rounds. So in theory all I will need to do is get the dies etc for a new calibre if necessary

So what the million dollar questions are
  1. What calibre should I choose? Or should I stick with 243WIN?
  2. What lightweight stock should I choose?
  3. What type and make of barrel should I choose?

This will be the first custom rifle I have ever had built and I want it to be something I will keep forever and pass onto my son at some stage.

I welcome everyone's opinions.

Cheers

Never mind Klenchblaize (he'll be along shortly, I'm sure) Go for a .250 Humdinger.

1, 243 is fine but if you reload 260 rem is impressive or 7-08 ? they all work well when placed well
2, without doubt the PSE composites stock , you will be amazed!
3, any of the big name makes will work fine and just get the lightest contour your happy with and any of the above calibres will work with a 20-22" barrel

I would suggest 6.5x47, 7-08 or 260. I had a remington 260 and had problems seating the bullets out far enough because the length of the magazine. There are ways to over come this but it is more work expense and limits options

Hi there

I went through the same sort of issue as well before I decided.

Whilst there are a raft of details to pin down - which with a good builder can be a joy - there is also a pratical issue about calibre and ammo. You say that you reload but I'm guessing your still in the learning lots phase (aren't we all but you ge my drift) from your comment but, if you're going to progress down that path, then the calibre options open up as you'll be only requiring components.

I went for a 7mm08. At that time factory ammo was really hard to come by - not sure it's easier now either - but I reload and 7mm stuff is easy enough to find. I shoot all UK species and have an annual pilgrimage to WMS in Wales so I know that's it ok out to 900m (at which point I loose any more adjustment on my scope)

It's a B&C medalist stock (bedded)
18" PacNor supermatch profile 5 barrel (7mm08)
GBR action

It's not a lightweight hunting rig by any stretch of the imagination but is more the compromise of a number of factors. The result is a rifle I'll always grab for and that is 95% perfect for just about anything I'd want to be trying.

Hope that helps

FN

Side on 7mm08.jpg

I would suggest 6.5x47, 7-08 or 260. I had a remington 260 and had problems seating the bullets out far enough because the length of the magazine. There are ways to over come this but it is more work expense and limits options

my 260 is fine it depends how it's throated ?

Sell it and buy a T-3 Lite.
If that's too heavy, hit the gym.~Muir

I already have a T3 Lite in 270, which is my "go to" rifle.

I want to treat myself to a custom rifle that will hopefully last a lifetime!!

[h=3]"Closing Comments[/h]
From time to time, wildcatters have built various improved versions of the .25-08 to maximize performance from the short rifle action platform. In 1994 Australian Guns & Game editor Breil Jackson, with the help of gunsmith Peter Kay, developed an improved .25-08 which they named the .250 Humdinger. The case design featured a minimum body taper and a 45 degree shoulder angle. The Humdinger achieved working velocities of 3400fps with an 87 grain bullet and ADI2209 (H4350) powder, 3270fps with a 100 grain bullet and ADI 2213sc (H4831sc) and 3014 with 120 grain bullets again using slow burning ADI2213sc.2

Doing a small amount of reading on the web, I like the sound of the 6.5x47.

I cannot seem to find it in my Lee Modern Reloading Manual. (2nd edition)? Unless it is under a different name?

However I wonder if this calibre be suited to a lightweight rifle? Most I have seen have been heavy bench rest type rifles?

I'm going 6.5x47 in a rebuild this year. It's currently a Sako Action III in .22-250, but it's the same action size as yours covering .243, .260, 7mm-08 and .308

As I have my 6.5x55 for stalking, this one is for range work only, so a ruddy great 28/30" 1-8" twist barrel on it, with a laminated stock.

HOWEVER, I reserve the right to shorten and thread the barrel in couple of years, put the 75 Synthetic stock back on and take it for a walk!!

I've not heard or read a bad thing about the calibre, but don't know what the kick would be like in a seriously lightweight stock though, even with a good mod on the end.

6.5x47 is fine in a light gun, I am having a custom built rifle by Devon Custom Rifles in that calibre it will sit in a pse composite stock to save weight.

6.5x47 is fine in a light gun, I am having a custom built rifle by Devon Custom Rifles in that calibre it will sit in a pse composite stock to save weight.

Thanks for your post, that is just what I wanted to hear. What length barrel is yours?

Cheers

I have recently done a similar thing with my old Sako 75 in.243

I have re barrelled in 6.5x47 Lapua and I am thrilled with its performance. The three biggest reasons for me are:

1.) Very gentle to shoot, even if your wound in to quite a high magnification on your scope there is such little recoil that you are able to watch bullet strike. Something I didn’t always find possible with the .243 and a feature I really like.

2.) I shoot 129 grain SST’s and it sure does deliver a serious strike to the beast. The .243 would punch a whole straight through and make quite a wound channel (95 grain Accutips) but 85% of the time the beast would not drop on the spot. (I don’t put that down to ammunition choice,I’ve tried quite a few different brands over the years)The majority of mystalking is Muntjac and even with a perfectly placed heart/lung shot they were able to dash a short distance into a bramble bush before expiring. I would observe that so far, that statistic is reversed with the 6.5x47. Most of the time it knocks smaller stuff like Muntjac, Roe and even red calves to the ground in a similar way that I have found my .30-06 with 150grain SST’s does.

3.) Accuracy and wind bucking ability is excellent. Now, I think a lot of people get caught up in this whole “Fast flat shooting round” business. The reality is, what ever calibre it is, you as the responsible stalker must know what your bullet drop is, and how to adjust for wind. It doesn’t make much difference if that adjustment is 2” or 4” as long as you know what it is, you can adjust for it to ensure a humane as possible shot. If your bashing gongs 600yards plus than a flatter trajectory is going to give you more adjustment to shoot further away before you need the likes of a 20MOA canted rail to give you the added elevation. Anyway, all that said, the 6.5x47 is a very efficient round and very capable at extended ranges.

I would also consider carefully the .260 and the 7mm-08.

The only other thing I would flag is to check that the rounds feed ok in your rifle. The 47 has a sharper angled neck/shoulder and you just want to make sure that it feeds cleanly and smoothly for that swift reload after a shot.

I went for a Lothar Walther #1400 - Heavy Weight Sporter barrel, 20 Inch in length with 1 in 8 twist. That then happily covers me in the 120 to 140 grain bracket that I want to shoot. I’m sure it would be possible to develop a lighter load too if one so desired.

Good luck and let us know how you get on! Oh and enjoy it, now’s the fun bit of choosing what to have!

Best,
Miles

Last edited:
Hi there

I went through the same sort of issue as well before I decided.

Whilst there are a raft of details to pin down - which with a good builder can be a joy - there is also a pratical issue about calibre and ammo. You say that you reload but I'm guessing your still in the learning lots phase (aren't we all but you ge my drift) from your comment but, if you're going to progress down that path, then the calibre options open up as you'll be only requiring components.

I went for a 7mm08. At that time factory ammo was really hard to come by - not sure it's easier now either - but I reload and 7mm stuff is easy enough to find. I shoot all UK species and have an annual pilgrimage to WMS in Wales so I know that's it ok out to 900m (at which point I loose any more adjustment on my scope)

It's a B&C medalist stock (bedded)
18" PacNor supermatch profile 5 barrel (7mm08)
GBR action

It's not a lightweight hunting rig by any stretch of the imagination but is more the compromise of a number of factors. The result is a rifle I'll always grab for and that is 95% perfect for just about anything I'd want to be trying.

Hope that helps

FN

View attachment 36766

Hi FN,

Thanks for your reply, you can definitely count me on the "still learning" camp regarding reloading!!!

Reading some other posts on the SD and other websites 6.5x47 seems like a good option.

Cheers

I have recently done a similar thing with my old Sako 75 in.243

I have re barrelled in 6.5x47 Lapua and I am thrilled with its performance. The three biggest reasons for me are:

1.) Very gentle to shoot, even if your wound in to quite a high magnification on your scope there is such little recoil that you are able to watch bullet strike. Something I didn’t always find possible with the .243 and a feature I really like.

2.) I shoot 129 grain SST’s and it sure does deliver a serious strike to the beast. The .243 would punch a whole straight through and make quite a wound channel (95 grain Accutips) but 85% of the time the beast would not drop on the spot. (I don’t put that down to ammunition choice,I’ve tried quite a few different brands over the years)The majority of mystalking is Muntjac and even with a perfectly placed heart/lung shot they were able to dash a short distance into a bramble bush before expiring. I would observe that so far, that statistic is reversed with the 6.5x47. Most of the time it knocks smaller stuff like Muntjac, Roe and even red calves to the ground in a similar way that I have found my .30-06 with 150grain SST’s does.

3.) Accuracy and wind bucking ability is excellent. Now, I think a lot of people get caught up in this whole “Fast flat shooting round” business. The reality is, what ever calibre it is, you as the responsible stalker must know what your bullet drop is, and how to adjust for wind. It doesn’t make much difference if that adjustment is 2” or 4” as long as you know what it is, you can adjust for it to ensure a humane as possible shot. If your bashing gongs 600yards plus than a flatter trajectory is going to give you more adjustment to shoot further away before you need the likes of a 20MOA canted rail to give you the added elevation. Anyway, all that said, the 6.5x47 is a very efficient round and very capable at extended ranges.

I would also consider carefully the .260 and the 7mm-08.

The only other thing I would flag is to check that the rounds feed ok in your rifle. The 47 has a sharper angled neck/shoulder and you just want to make sure that it feeds cleanly and smoothly for that swift reload after a shot.

I went for a Lothar Walther #1400 - Heavy Weight Sporter barrel, 20 Inch in length with 1 in 8 twist. That then happily covers me in the 120 to 140 grain bracket that I want to shoot. I’m sure it would be possible to develop a lighter load too if one so desired.

Good luck and let us know how you get on! Oh and enjoy it, now’s the fun bit of choosing what to have!

Best,
Miles

Hi Miles,

Thanks for the detailed response.

The more reading I do the 6.5x47 seems just the job.

I have had a quick search on the web for reloading dies and they do not seem very common, nor do cases. That is of course unless I am looking in the wrong places?

Cheers

Personally I'd go for 7 08 heavy enough for boar and good for all species that's my only "big " rifle at the min but I can't see that changing soon , I've had 6.5 30 06 303 etc and I like the 7 mm the best

Personally I'd go for 7 08 heavy enough for boar and good for all species that's my only "big " rifle at the min but I can't see that changing soon , I've had 6.5 30 06 303 etc and I like the 7 mm the best

That's why I chose 7-08 too: it does pretty much everything you want. It's also very flat shooting and therefore a decent idiot's calibre: you hardly need any vertical correction at normal stalking ranges, and it has very little recoil, so you're just more likely to hit stuff properly. In my medium-term drilling acquisition project, I'm planning on staying with the 7mm, in the guise of the 7x57R or 7x65R, depending on what turns up in auctions.

Ligtweight, 1000 yard capable deer/fox rifle, you dont want much do you!

i have a very nice, accurate 47l, excellent all rounder but not the best for lamping foxes, i keep a .243 for that.

consider the e-tac stock from pse composites, that'll keep weight down but still provide suitable ergonomics for longer range stuff.

you will need a heavier barrel for range work.

There's been some excellent comments so far in response to the question posed. The only curved ball I would throw against the 6.5 mm options is whether or not you would ever want to buy factory copper ammunition?

Products - Lapua

I can see attractions of being able to turn up to a shooting test or for a day's stalking with a box of factory non-lead ammunition in my pocket.

Regards

JCS

Back