Thread: advise needed

advise needed

Looking to buy a remington 700, must be synthetic. Any advise on which model and why..?
    Thanks
    Last edited by cssports; 13-01-2014 at 20:22.

What calibre and what for ? might help.

I know its not a 700 but there was a stainless synthetic remington model 7 .243 for sale not long ago

If you have the cash, a CDL would be nice, an M24 even nicer :-)

The CDL will have a good stock, a nice trigger, and nicer bolt.

The SPS will have a stock that must be changed if you want to start reaching to distances. The triggers are getting better. A newer SPS trigger may be just fine. The one I have is very nice.

I bought a SPS, put a Boyd's stock on it and she shoots great.

Also, what are you looking to do: deer, bunnies, lamping, general merriment?

If you buy a sps stainless they are cheap compared to the other remi models. You can then have a choice of putting an after market stock on it or using as is.

Quote Originally Posted by FISMA View Post
    If you have the cash, a CDL would be nice, an M24 even nicer :-)

The CDL will have a good stock, a nice trigger, and nicer bolt.

The SPS will have a stock that must be changed if you want to start reaching to distances. The triggers are getting better. A newer SPS trigger may be just fine. The one I have is very nice.

I bought a SPS, put a Boyd's stock on it and she shoots great.

Also, what are you looking to do: deer, bunnies, lamping, general merriment?
    CDLs aren't synthetic. And they're overpriced.

Sendero
    Stainless, HS stock good accurate rifle
    cheers
    Dickie

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
    CDLs ... And they're overpriced.
    In the EU? More like overtaxed than overpriced.

In the US, they are not overpriced nor more expensive, you're dollar is worth less.

It is not Remington's fault the US gov't has decided to print dollars at the current rate.

Having owned and shot a Remington 700 since I was a boy, in the late 1960s ( and I still own it ), as well as others along the way, I have a few contrary opinions.

You did not state the chamberings, but

1. I would look for an older M700 BDL stainless in .270 Win or .30-06. It is head and shoulders above the SPS in terms of finish, and not just on the exterior. The older ones have better receivers.

2. There is nothing wrong with the factory synthetic stock. The Remington 700 is made to have, and does better with, a pressure point in the fore end. The only issue is getting it even, and not pushing to one side.

3. The old triggers can be adjusted to break just right, with no creep or overtravel. My M700 BDL SS .30-06 has a trigger set at 3 lbs that gets a comment from everyone who shoots it the first time.

4. The XCR is a super finish, deposited on the 416 stainless steel. It was developed for rifles used by the US Coast Guard and for their .50-cal M2 deck machineguns.

So my vote is to go after a BDL or XCR II, and don't go spending money on aftermarket stocks and triggers. Put the money into a scope. My M700 BDL .30-06 shoots every load I use into 0.75 inches for five rounds at 100 yards, and the better loads with all holes overlapping, which means under .31".

Bdl dm ss...then check out this guy Red Hawk Rifles ...i have had 2 stocks from him....