kinetic bullet puller primer ignighted

did it actually fire though?
not just fired out of a slack primer pocket?

I shattered the retaining cap and the collets fired all over the place like some shrapnal, but all under my kinetic energy not the primers'

Only heard of this on one other occasion.

Its not that much of a leap of faith that it might happen. You have an impact sensitive compound held between the anvil and the primer cap and then belt the whole lot against a hard object....

Not too surprising that the primer popped out of the case either, nothing to hold it in place, pressure will soon push it out. probably the reason the powder didn't ignite. It was easier for the pressure to push the cap out than to push the flame trough the flash hole.

Still one of your nine lives gone though I would say!

Before you question your sanity this has also happened to me. The ironic thing is that it was also with .270 with norma case and Federal LR primer. Bullet fell out along with powder and primer ejected itself in the opposite direction. Only explanation I could think of was a loose primer pocket.

Scary, I've been using one for over 15 years. My son even helps me with it sometimes (Under strict supervision) Not any more...............Sounds as if you were very lucky, thanks for sharing.

I thought I had it, but then.........

The primer might have been loose in the pocket.

The bullet may have moved significantly out of the case before the primer went pop.

Now, if the bullet is about to leave the case neck, the powder must by the laws of physics, be packed up behind it.

If the primer banged off just as it left the case, is it possible that the powder was too far away for the flame to reach?

Or did the primer hang up on one side and divert the flame from straight?

Are there enough nanoseconds in this scenario?

I don't know.

But I will stick to my Hornady cam puller!

Just to add the primer when it went off shot out of the case with enough force to hit the ceiling

I saw something related to this today at the range - There was a chap shooting next to me with a .357 lever action Winchester. He took a shot and just a soft "pop", he ejected the case and, as I guessed, found the bullet a couple of inches up the barrel. Of course I suspected just a primer, no powder but when we looked at the case the powder was still in the case.

I've been shooting for 50 odd years and never seen a primer go off, eject a bullet and not ignite the powder.

20140118_113013-1.jpg20140118_113003-1.jpg

If it was up to H&S you would have to wear one of those bomb disposal suits like in 'Hurt Locker'.....no danger. :rofl: :thumb:.

as above i have just been pulling some 270 ammo and had a primer go off luckily it didnt ignite the powder .
has any one had this happen to them ?

How about some photos of the offending cartridge? Did the primer back out of the pocket? I don't understand how the primer could have detonated and yet not ignited the powder? More detals please.

-JMS

I've been around those stupid things all my life and used one more times than I care to admit, but I've never heard of a primer igniting, and if it did one would wonder how the powder didn't ignite, and more over, why the bullet remained in the case. Any primer ignition will unseat a bullet. ;)~Muir

It won't unseat the bullet if the primer is free to back out the primer pocket, as that is the route of least resistance.

-JMS

Back