Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: New Steyr Scout .308WIN rifle....any retailers, any at all, want to quote?

  1. #1

    New Steyr Scout .308WIN rifle....any retailers, any at all, want to quote?

    I am getting rather exasperated with the RFD retail trade....since the 18th. Dec. I have been trying to get a quote for a new Steyr Scout .308WIN with Stainless Steel barrel - but I simply can't get a well-known retailer who advertises on their website that they sell this rifle, after speaking to their sales dept. and being asked to email them, to take the trouble to press the 'reply' button and give me their best price.
    Are there any retailers in the UK, any at all, that are actually keen to sell a new rifle? Hmm.
    Where would this sloppy uninterested service leave me IF I finally manage to buy this rifle and have an issue or warranty claim? Would Steyr Mannlicher be keen to find out how they are represented by their UK Agent? What do you say guys?
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

  2. #2
    Ivor Dadswell old mill guns 01798 861747

  3. #3
    Erik phone the Newport store and ask to speak to Sean or the manager Mike Evans. Tell them that you haven't been able to get a reply and I'm sure that if they can get you what you want, which isn't always possible, they will quote you for one.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Erik phone the Newport store and ask to speak to Sean or the manager Mike Evans. Tell them that you haven't been able to get a reply and I'm sure that if they can get you what you want, which isn't always possible, they will quote you for one.
    After speaking to a person and being asked to email in requirements, which subsequently was not replied to I would be hacked off with them too. Assuming of course that the correct email address was used. I work in ecommerce and after speaking to someone on the phone with an email required for a follow up quote perhaps only 6/7 out of 10 actually email requirements. I struck a good deal with them in store (for a rifle package), but I haggled hard!
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by widu13 View Post
    After speaking to a person and being asked to email in requirements, which subsequently was not replied to I would be hacked off with them too. Assuming of course that the correct email address was used. I work in ecommerce and after speaking to someone on the phone with an email required for a follow up quote perhaps only 6/7 out of 10 actually email requirements. I struck a good deal with them in store (for a rifle package), but I haggled hard!
    I will not name business or persons - however I did get an email acknowledgement that the person I spoke to and emailed would get back to me.
    Finally, after a third request (CC'd to the MD, this always has amazing results if you get a sloppy service) I have had an answer and an apology. The quote I have had for the best price is simply the list price, which I can find on the website myself, without requiring a telephone call and three emails over a period of four weeks.
    Very disappointing.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

  6. #6
    if I may venture an opinion ?

    I had a 308 scout and the concept is fabulous as a hill rifle but mine would never group well and it needed 7-10 shots before it would group and even then it was around 2 moa but the biggest problem was it's erratic zero , you could only really be certain that the first shot would be within 8 inches of point of aim at 100m , just not good enough to stalk with!

    if you can shoot it first and prove it groups then buy it !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    I will not name business or persons - however I did get an email acknowledgement that the person I spoke to and emailed would get back to me.
    Finally, after a third request (CC'd to the MD, this always has amazing results if you get a sloppy service) I have had an answer and an apology. The quote I have had for the best price is simply the list price, which I can find on the website myself, without requiring a telephone call and three emails over a period of four weeks.
    Very disappointing.
    Not good at all matey. Best of luck with your search. There a few reviews knocking about on google. Most seem to indicate 2MOA @ 100m as tackb says.
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    if I may venture an opinion ?

    I had a 308 scout and the concept is fabulous as a hill rifle but mine would never group well and it needed 7-10 shots before it would group and even then it was around 2 moa but the biggest problem was it's erratic zero , you could only really be certain that the first shot would be within 8 inches of point of aim at 100m , just not good enough to stalk with!

    if you can shoot it first and prove it groups then buy it !
    Thank you for your advice - much appreciated. I have tried the 'tactical' version of the Scout, called the Elite, but that one has a heavy barrel and it shot very well. The Scout has, generally, excellent reviews, it was deigned to be all-round ('if you could only have one rifle') light, pointable, and hit a man-size target at 400 yards with iron sights. My use would be for quite close-in stalking, and quite typically my average shooting distance is around 30-50 yards, so if it doesn't do well on the range on paper targets at 100 yards it will still serve me well for my stalking, were low weight, pointability and handling characteristics are more important than pin-point accuracy.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

  9. #9
    then it could be the rifle for you ?

    I would ask though , will you be able to rely on it when you wound a beast and said beast stops running at 200yds and offers a finishing shot?

    if you get an accurate one then it will be all the rifle you ever really need for stalking!

    good luck
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

  10. #10
    I had one in .243 the worst thing i did was sell it, the second thing was letting the sportsman gun center work on it they damaged my scope fitting the incorrect rings . .but if you need extra high qr warne rings i have a set going.

Similar Threads

  1. Steyr Scout
    By Tony in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 27-09-2016, 15:24
  2. Steyr Scout .243 or Steyr Elite .223
    By Hunter in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16-04-2013, 21:36
  3. For Sale Steyr scout/pro hunter .308win magazine
    By DazT in forum Firearms Components
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-05-2011, 14:54
  4. For Sale Steyr Mannlicher Scout .223 rifle
    By coriolis in forum Firearms
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-03-2011, 21:02
  5. Steyr Scout
    By mack in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-09-2008, 09:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •