Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back packing deer out

Back packing deer out

I've know guys on here carry out deer in their roe sacks ie roe and munty and I've heard of sika sacks .as I've not shot a sika I can't say how heavy carrying one must feel ,but I can't imagine carrying out a fallow pricket which someone did mention they would carry out I've seen the pictures of guys in NZ carrying out red do some people still carry out the larger species of deer on their backs I have a job getting 100 lb fallow into the back of my truck let alone manage to carry rifle sticks and a fallow pricket .
    norma

forget that norma thats what quad bikes are for lol

a mate of mine uses a kelty game pack, its basically a rucksack frame you put strap the deer on it and away you go, very handy bit of kit if you have to take the deer a fair distance. I have seen him with 50 kilo on it no bother

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    I've know guys on here carry out deer in their roe sacks ie roe and munty and I've heard of sika sacks .as I've not shot a sika I can't say how heavy carrying one must feel ,but I can't imagine carrying out a fallow pricket which someone did mention they would carry out I've seen the pictures of guys in NZ carrying out red do some people still carry out the larger species of deer on their backs I have a job getting 100 lb fallow into the back of my truck let alone manage to carry rifle sticks and a fallow pricket .
    norma

Same boat as me mate dont we get Colin solway to do it that's why he has had a hernia.

He blames you for his op for dragging your three deer and for me dragging my boar.

But sure if he sees this he'll comment on my experience carrying a billy off the tops down to him.

I use a Roe sack for Roe but anything bigger I use a sled if I am unable to get a vehicle in close. I once shot a Fallow at last light and had to drag it on my own about 300 yards up hill, why I pulled the trigger I shall never know but with the sled I never have any regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    Same boat as me mate dont we get Colin solway to do it that's why he has had a hernia.

He blames you for his op for dragging your three deer and for me dragging my boar.

But sure if he sees this he'll comment on my experience carrying a billy off the tops down to him.
    You did fine Martin , but your part was downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Solwaystalker View Post
    You did fine Martin , but your part was downhill

Having two foot legs doesn't help. That roe I taken with you just before Christmas I showed it to a mate he said that's a big hare, bloody hell am I that small.

Feel free to put the picture up if you like. No comment from Lilly
    Last edited by weeman; 14-01-2014 at 20:27.

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post

Ha ha yes i think I remember getting a wet foot trying to drag one of my deer through the clear fell .i just saw a classifieds ad for a roe sac going spare as the op wanted a bigger sack for the odd fallow and I thought he's a better man than me !

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    norma
    i shot a large fallow pricket last year and squeezed it into my roe sack then sat down , put my arms through the straps and couldn't get up !! A lot of rolling around and a bit of a Turkish lift and I had it on my back. Grabbed rifle and sticks and made it back to the car. Mind you, I looked like that old guy on the front of the album cover for Led Zeppelin IV, all bent double !!

We stalk one piece of wood that everything has to be carried or dragged out.
    I was stalking the far end of this piece and shot a fallow doe. Then 8 more got up out of the brambles and I dropped a small pricket/ yearling.
    I was joined by bandit country who had one of poppins sika sacks.
    The two fitted in there so then the fun began. I took the 'short' cut to a road. Over two fences and a ditch while BC went and met me with the motor.

Moral of the story.............. Think about the extraction before pulling the trigger twice.

Jonathon