Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sako 85 Finlite

Sako 85 Finlite

I'm thinking of getting a sako 85 finite as a hill rifle as I seem to be doing more and more stalking in scotland. The rifle will be in 270 caliber.
    Could any one whos got one tell me how theres preforms and if they have had any isues with it. I will be putting a Z6i on top of it if i get one.

Cheers
    Dan

I have one in 308 great rifle no problems at all had it about 3 years now, very light and short ideal for carrying about on the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by crouch valley View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a sako 85 finite as a hill rifle as I seem to be doing more and more stalking in scotland. The rifle will be in 270 caliber.
    Could any one whos got one tell me how theres preforms and if they have had any isues with it. I will be putting a Z6i on top of it if i get one.

Cheers
    Dan
    I've handle the Sako 85 and if I'm honest I'm not impressed, it's not a patch on the 75, it's been cheapened to save money. If it was me I'd certainly consider the the Tikka T3 because whilst this has also been cheapened it's not pretending to be anything other than a Tikka. Short of that bite the bullet and look at a semi custom rig.

Sako 85 is a cracking rifle, I have 3 in various combinations and the Finnlight is a beauty, put a Z6i on it and you will never look back

Optilocks to finish the package.

Less than 1/2" for 3 shot groups at 100m with home loads for all 3 rifles.
    Last edited by Leupsak; 15-01-2014 at 19:50.

Sako 85 Finnlight is a cracking rifle you wont be disappointed with your purchase Dan.
    Atb John

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    I've handle the Sako 85 and if I'm honest I'm not impressed, it's not a patch on the 75, it's been cheapened to save money. If it was me I'd certainly consider the the Tikka T3 because whilst this has also been cheapened it's not pretending to be anything other than a Tikka. Short of that bite the bullet and look at a semi custom rig.
    how have they cheapened it? I did look at a tikka but didn't like the plastic bit on the end of the bolt I've heard of them breaking easily not what I need on the hill.

Established Poster
    if you do happen to break it, it still works fine without it, its just cosmetic

Cheers
    Dan
    I have a sako hunter short barrel great piece of kit love it
    DJC

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    I've handle the Sako 85 and if I'm honest I'm not impressed, it's not a patch on the 75
    The poor old 85 has been cursed with this opinion since it first came out. I bought mine right around the 75/85 change and to be honest I was originally looking for a 75 on the basis that I had tried one and liked it a lot. As it turned out, the 75's were hard to come by at the time as people were snapping the remaining ones up. Let's face it, the 75 was a hard act to follow.

One way of putting it is that the 85 is not as well engineered as the 75... but another way of putting it is the 85 is less over-engineered than the 75.

At the risk of repeating myself... Sako 75 v sako 85

Jager SA knows his rifles admittedly, but I can't help feeling I should add my tuppence in defence of the poor old 85 as my two 85's (.243 Finnlight and .30-06 Stainless) have been faultless... plenty accurate and reliable enough straight out the box and have been since day one.

Alex
    Last edited by csl; 15-01-2014 at 20:54.

how have they cheapened it? I did look at a tikka but didn't like the plastic bit on the end of the bolt I've heard of them breaking easily not what I need on the hill.
    Well if you put the two together 75 and 85 you'd see the differences from bolt, reciever, magazine to stock, even the recoil lug is at best minimal, all this for close on double the cost of a 75. Now I'm not knocking the accuracy just the fact that they re worked it on a budget the same as the Tikka T3. I wasn't sold on the T3 until I bought one in and I have to say they are pretty good as a go to rifle for the money. Pic one up second hand and you're onto a winner.