Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safari?

Safari?

Me and the fiancee are off on our first safari for our honeymoon, off to Little Governors in the Maasai Mara in May. She is hoping to see elephants in the wild, which I am sure we will, and then we are off to Zanzibar where I hope to catch a tuna, although its a bit out of season for that.

There won't be a gun in my luggage but I would like to know top tips of what to take.

I guess binoculars will be useful, and obviously sun cream, hats, insect repellant.

Any other top tips - especially what to wear, are dark/natural colours necessary when you are in a 4x4 anyway?

Stayed at Governer's camp 3 years ago, fantastic place with loads to see. Colour of your clothes will not matter in the 4x4s. Take plenty memory for your camera as you will take loads of pics.

Cheers - I have only heard good things about the place.

I am not looking at being Ernest Hemmingway or the latest model off vogue by the way guys, just some genuine tips of the 'I wish I knew/bought that before I went' type.

Binocs for sure. Also a day bag to put all your stuff in for the game drives. You will be surprised how cold it can be some mornings so a fleece is always advisable until the sun gets up. (I've not done Kenya so I may be a bit off on the temps. )

lens pen to clean camera lenses and lots of memory. I carry 32gb per day. As you drive round delete all the obviously poor pics directly on the camera.

K

Another vote for as many SD cards as you've got then some!

We we did the Rift Valley in Kenya in Sept 2012 on our honeymoon, prepare yourself for plenty of time in the van over the bumpy stuff and that's just to get there

Also the standard of driving on the Kenyan roads is appalling, very dangerous indeed but if you have a good driver you'll be fine.

Also the Masai people......not sure how to put this but be wary of them, certainly don't be taken in by their tales of slaying lions and cheata's and don't buy what are ground animal bones that they pretend are lion or cheata teeth.

Personally I felt the Masai people were liars and cheats, they had sold out their traditional ways to make a quick buck off stupid tourists and lied to your face telling you one thing when in fact you knew it not to be true.

Don't get me wrong it was good experience, I enjoyed seeing their construction techniques, the right clothing and meeting the people I was just disappointed that they have sold out to tourism, they do lie straight to your face and when challenged insist they are telling the truth, maybe it's desperation maybe not I don't know. What I do know is that I was disappointed after meeting the tribe of Masai people we met.

The Mara itself is a fantastic place, no doubt you'll see tons of hot air balloons floating about during the early morning drives, I've got some cracking photos of wildlife with a balloon in the frame also.

Enjoy, it'll be like nothing you've ever done before.

Watch out for 'special tax' at check in and make sure you get your boarding card for your return flight home.
    Zanzibar is an experience all on it's own...the sea stays at around 33-35 degrees & it's like getting into a warm bath. If Africa gets into your blood you'll always go back. Enjoy ATB
    Last edited by deeangeo; 16-01-2014 at 07:53.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

It can get cold at night so if you do a night drive make sure you take a warm jumper or coat, also felt tip pens for the kids will go a long way and better than sweets, small denominations like 1 dollar bills for tips

Stayed at Little Governors on our Honeymoon, it was fantastic - lucky you!

My wife suggests a book for animal identification
    Spare batteries for you camera - (Not re-chargeable, this is Africa! I'm sure you will be able to charge most of the time though)
    Dark/natural clothing - there are chances to leave the vehicle i.e. looking for leopard
    Long sleeved shirt and long trousers in the evening - helps keep the insects off
    Definitely binos x2 - otherwise it'll be your first marital fight over them!
    Lens wipes - for the binos
    Hats - broad rimmed, not caps, need to keep the sun off your ears as well
    Suncream
    Jungle formula MAXIMUM
    Fleece - as it can be cold in the morning, you'll be up early and out before sunrise
    Day-pack
    Water

Two things to do that I would recommend is a walking safari one time and an early morning balloon ride over the Mara, it was great when we did it although it seems to have had some bad press recently (I can't understand why?).

IMPORTANT - My final and most important advice, and I tell you this from having lived and worked in Africa, is ensure you take whatever malaria medication you are advised for the area and time of year. I've had malaria and I can only tell you it is extremely unpleasant and can kill so take and complete the course even on your return home, until it is finished.

P.S. I didn't pack a rifle either but I did buy two spears and a shield when I got there!

Other than that have a great holiday and tight lines. We went fishing as well on Lake Victoria for Great Nile Perch, great fun but tuna, that'll be good.

Quote Originally Posted by The deer man View Post
    IMPORTANT - My final and most important advice, and I tell you this from having lived and worked in Africa, is ensure you take whatever malaria medication you are advised for the area and time of year. I've had malaria and I can only tell you it is extremely unpleasant and can kill so take and complete the course even on your return home, until it is finished.

Sissy!!
    Patrick Reynecke (Bushwack Safaris)
    Web: http://www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
    Mobile:+27 82 773 4099
    Mail: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za