Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acquiring land - Vicious Circle?

Acquiring land - Vicious Circle?

Hi Guys,

I know this isn't about stalking but I figure you'll probably know what i'm trying to get at.

I would like to get into vermin control / foxing at some point in the near future. I have .22RF and .223 slots on my ticket but they are for target shooting only at the time being.

If I ask for permission and a farmer says yes, you can start now, I have a problem as I don't have the conditions on the ticket? But I can't get the conditions added without permission?

Do you see where i'm coming from or have I missed something fundamental and probably obvious?

Thanks in advance

Jimmy

Quickest way forward is a letter from the holder of the shooting rights or their agent, say headkeeper, giving you permission for x,y,z, quarry species over said piece of land (address), & get in a variation to aquire & use expanding in x,y,z, calibre for the shooting of x,y,z, Species, if you don't get lumbered with a numpty feo, you should be ok. 8) Steve.

Re: Acquiring land - Vicious Circle?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mc
    Hi Guys,

I know this isn't about stalking but I figure you'll probably know what i'm trying to get at.

I would like to get into vermin control / foxing at some point in the near future. I have .22RF and .223 slots on my ticket but they are for target shooting only at the time being.

If I ask for permission and a farmer says yes, you can start now, I have a problem as I don't have the conditions on the ticket? But I can't get the conditions added without permission?

Do you see where i'm coming from or have I missed something fundamental and probably obvious?

Thanks in advance

Jimmy
    Hi Jimmy,

your first port of call should be your firearms enquiry officer and a signed letter of consent from the farmer. You require your certificate to be updated with land on which you require to shoot on or an open certificate giving you access to any land on which you have permission to shoot over including vermin etc. Some forces do not like issuing open certificates untill after your renewal of the frst certificate but your FEO should walk you through it.

Good luck Dave

Dave

Thanks for the replies guys.

If I asked permission from a farmer would they expect me to be on there doing the job asap? Obviously waiting for variations could delay this? Should I look to getting a shotgun/air rifle combo whilst waiting?

Cheers

Jimmy

Start the ball rolling with your force firearms dept - tell them your situation and ask how long they might take to impliment the variation you are asking for once you have the paperwork they need. Don't rely on the post to get things to an fro - give them a ring and deliver in person - if they are primed, they might even be able to do it while you wait.

Get out and get signed up with the landowners, I can't see anyone expection you to start on the spot there and then - you can always say you need to spend a bit of time walking and glassing the ground for safety reasons, (as you should anyway of course).

Vicious Circle..

Great title that can mean more than the obvious..

Possible dilema that is also one of my own..

Approach various landowners locally..

Suitable insurance and skills to do a thoroughly good service..

Piss every local stalker right off that you arent able to call a friend as are then seen as threat

Local opportunities start to become thinner on the ground

Damned if you do and damned if you dont

Boohoo

I put in a variation last week and got my ticket back with new cal and mod on today so you will just need to stick your neck out a bit and dont be shy in asking the FLO to rush it through for you.

Dave

Re: Acquiring land - Vicious Circle?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mc
    Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance

Jimmy
    Jimmy,

as stated by others walking the ground getting a detailed plan of the farm asking where the farmer would not want you go. Find boundaries and footpaths sort out back stops. Who else could there be on the ground. All this will pay dividends when you get your variation through, you can then get straight out having undertaken the important groundwork. These questions will also go down well with farmer who will grow in confidence in the way his ground is being respected and the safety questions being asked.
    Many walkers/ramblers get all over the place with permission or not and therefore knowing this could prevent accidents.

Dave

Thanks very much for the info guys.

I'll get around some local landowners asap and see if I can start glassing and walking the ground. I know it will be difficult to get my foot in the door but there's lots of farms around here and I don't mind going and knocking on every one of them

Got insurance sorted and some little cards to leave as reminders.

Fingers crossed!

Just been up to one of my dairy farmers places, after he called on me yesterday with a request to repair his milk bulk tank, just a little matter of a broken lid handle, so for the time it takes to kick over the bonnie & stick a stainless rod down my wellie I just got an extra twenty acres vermin shooting, does'nt sound much eh?, I'ts only got a very good salmon river for about 800yds on one side! will be passing the lamp over this field this weekend!